Ebay

Started by enjenjo, January 02, 2015, 05:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I know that when it first started Ebay had a lot of rip off artists, but I find I now use it to buy a lot of my parts. Speedway, and Summit are just two of the big shops that sell through Ebay, and often offer discounts, and free shipping in cases they normally don't. I also use it for obsolete, and NOS restoration parts, though that can be tricky determining if they are real or reproduction, I have even bought parts from overseas on Ebay, from Turkey, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and even Australia.

Over several hundred purchases I have yet to be burned. Some vendors have really gone above and beyond to satisfy me. In one case, the part had come out of the box because of poor packing, and was lost. The seller refunded my money within 5 minutes of me notifying them, no questions asked.

To help safeguard myself I look at seller ratings, looking for a satisfaction rating in the high 90s from 97% to 99% depending on the number of transactions. I also won't deal with sellers that have really high shipping charges with a low price. Most of my purchases are done with a buy it now price, I am not good with monitoring auctions. I will bid on auctions on hard to find parts, usually with a proxy bid.

How many other use Ebay?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

unklian

I find it not as good as it used to be, the small sellers got squeezed out.
Also find it is more of a Buy It Now deal, than an auction site.

Still use it, just not as much.

58 Yeoman

I've been clearing out a lot of stuff since I retired in early November.  I had bought some mopar stuff at an estate sale, and sold some of it on ebay.  I've moved almost $500 in one month alone.

I've only had one buyer stiff me recently; he never paid, but I also hadn't sent the part.  A few years back, someone tried to tell me that a radio that I had sent him was broken when he got it.  He balked when I asked for pix, then admitted that he had already thrown out the box, and couldn't find his camera.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Harry

I bought two new fender mirrors for my old Studebaker.
A good price and decent product.
Shipping was 99 cents from china.
I'm happy.

Crosley.In.AZ

I've had 2 problems on eBay... Twice an item sold to me... it took weeks to get it.

i had to file a complaint with eBay to open a case file...  finally received items in both situations waaaay late.  No real explaintion as what the problem was from the seller.

I would also suggest you watch Paypal transaction numbers...  US Gubmint has limits in place for a while on how many transactions you have via PayPal.  In 2013 it was 200 transactions or 20k $ ... Over either limit and more paperwork needs filed with IRS  that is supplied by PayPal

On the flip side, I've boguht items from over seas.  

Received wrong color LED lights from China. Seller offered me 2 dollars to return them for correct color LED ... i asked for more $ for postage , he refused.  I filed complaint with eBay.. I recieved the correct LED lights
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

unklian

Buying from China on Ebay, look at the shipping.
If it says "Standard Shipping" or "Economy shipping",
or similar, that is a guaranteed slow boat from China.

If it says "E-packet", you will have it in 10-12 days.

Occasionally you have the option to pay an extra $2
to upgrade to E-packet. Good investment IMHO.

unklian

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"
I've only had one buyer stiff me recently;
he never paid, but I also hadn't sent the part.  

For sure, never ship anything until payment clears.

I have a wholesale order from November, still waiting on payment.
His next order, will have to be paid up front, before production starts.

kb426

I use it sporadically. Most of the used items I used to look for are not listed anymore. For new items, it's ok. On my Honda project a few years ago, I received parts from Thailand and China. Some of the boxes came in tied with string so customs could inspect them. I always got what I ordered.
TEAM SMART

Uncle Bob

I'm very much like you Frank, generally happy and often BIN stuff.  I do play the bid for it game, often after a bit of back and forth to determine the real vs. repro thing, or to tighten up definitions such as "good", or "excellent".  Occasionally stumble across something listed just a bit off which cuts way down on the competition...........not as easily done as in the past though.

Last month got an unexpected bonus.  I'm not sure what triggered it, but there was a "10% up to $100 max" discount for many of the things I was looking for.  Ended up getting $100 off a set of wheels.  The seller got full credit, and I got the discount, so ebay made up the difference.  Like I said, not sure what triggered that, but I took it.

I used to sell a fair bit of stuff there, but since they started charging fee for the shipping cost as well it's swung the cost curve out of my happy zone.  I understand why they did it, it just doesn't work for me anymore.  I now just sell on Craigslist locally, generally get my price, don't have to jump through the packaging and rate quoting hoops.  You see lots of * online about ebay and C/L, or maybe the buyers, but like I tell folks, there were C/L flakes even before C/L started.  Just like there have always been chronic whiners.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Mac

It's true eBay has changed a lot over the years but I think it's less friendly for sellers than buyers.
Since I live a good hour away from a Pick-A-Part or any decent junkyard mostly I shop eBay these days and wait for the Brown Truck.
Who\'s yer Data?

Crosley.In.AZ

yuuuup  gotta agree with you guys...  In todays world I look at everything about a part purchase.  

my time, gasoline, where it is, if I can have it delivered easier than going to pick it up..

Certain items I want right in front of me to check out.  More common parts , I look for deals. I bought a bunch of parts from Rock Auto last year for a few cars.

on the flip side:  I just bought a Fram brand engine air filter for my 2013 Civic from local Wally world. I get it home... looks correct.  Filter dont fit. Comparo to the OEM filter. the OEM is slightly narrower, shorter than what was in the Fram box.  Correct number, wrong part
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

unklian

Quote from: "enjenjo"

To help safeguard myself I look at seller ratings, looking for a satisfaction rating in the high 90s from 97% to 99% depending on the number of transactions. I also won't deal with sellers that have really high shipping charges with a low price.

I think 98.5% is my lower limit.

The only problems I have had on Ebay,
have been with sellers below that number.