Is there any way to mactually verify mileage on a car

Started by junkyardjeff, December 19, 2014, 11:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

7 years ago I bought a 89 crown vic that was supposed to have 110,000 miles,seeing that the alternator and some brake parts and the plug wires and hoses were replaced I thought it was correct even though the interior did not look like it was ever used.  The outside was starting to show some wear so I used it for a winter beater,around 35,000 miles I let a now ex girlfriend drive it and she about destroyed it but the motor runs great and the rest of the drivetrain is still good so I got thinking if it actually had 135,000 miles on it and with her hard driving the last 4 years I do not think it would have lasted to 183,000 miles so I am beginning to think this car actually had 10,000 original miles on it when I bought it so is there any way to verify it.

unklian

58 Yeoman

That would be a first...running the miles higher... :shock:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

junkyardjeff

It had 10,000 showing on the odometer and does not have the extra digit so it will show 999,999 miles before going back to all zeros so i presume the dealer I got if from figured 110,000,all the vehicles I have that went over 100,000 miles the numbers will not be perfectly straight but this car the numbers are straight making me think it has not turned over to 100,000 plus miles. With a perfect interior and most of the original paint still on the frame when I bought it I am thinking it had less then 100,000 miles and wondering if a car fax would show me anything. At around 70,000 miles I changed the trans fluid and the plug was still floating around in the pan so I was the first one in there and the fluid was not dark so if it had 170,000 miles on the original trans fluid it would have been very dark,years ago I bought a 95 F150 that was showing 97,000 miles with slightly dark but not burnt fluid and it had been changed since no plug in the pan so I am thinking this crown vic only had 10,000 miles and nobody knew it.

enjenjo

As long as the computer has not been replaced, it will have recorded the mileage.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

junkyardjeff

I will have to see if I can get the mileage out of the computer,that interior just looked too good to have 110,000 miles and runs too good after 40,000 hard miles to be a 183,000 mile motor.

wayne petty

that model does not measure mileage..

check the door hinges for wear...   brake pedal pads for wear..  floor mats for wear..

kinda late now but that's how i tell the difference between a low mileage car and a high mileage car.. on cars that only go to 99,999/9 miles.

junkyardjeff

Door hinges are tight and the brake pedal pad shows little wear and the interior shows little wear except for the spilt coffee and soda,I think since it was 18 years old when I bought it the mileage was presumed to be over 100,000 but the drivetrain is just too good to have 183,000 miles on it. The body now looks to have over 100,000 miles since it was wrecked twice and multi colors and the clear coat coming off.

Arnold

A bit o/t but I noticed on some auction Police C.Vics. that the odometer area can also be used to show hours too. Is that a new thing? Or some cop thing? (Anyone can go to the auction site and see how many hrs are on those things)

river1

My 04 silverado has the hours feature, pretty cool until the hours clock zeros on you when you don't know.  :x

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.