Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

It's a wonder what they can make with one of these

t=10

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

parklane

Quote from: "enjenjo"It's a wonder what they can make with one of these

t=10

Totally amazing what can be done by someone with the proper tooling, equipment and experience.
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

UGLY OLDS

Hopefully they recycle the chips   :!:  :shock:

How can they take such a large cut when starting on the crankshaft   :?:

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

wayne petty

i love that... i like the counter weights for every rod throw.. so the middle of the crank does not whip at high speeds...   i dislike the undercutting of the radius on the rod and main journals.. instead  of just a radius  up to the side.. its undercut creating a weak spot that looks nice..

this is neat.. imagine ordering up your frame rails already cut like this .. just bend and weld....

chimp koose

Ugly olds  , one machine shop I used to work at sent one employee per year to Hawaii for a week from the scrap metal fund. Employee was the winner of the darts tournament at the Christmas party . The first cuts you see are from a spinning carbide face mill. that machine has lots of power. the first lathed roughing cuts were probably taking 3/4" or more off diameter per cut with no coolant. I think the no coolant cuts were done to better show the cutting action as a cnc usually floods the tool. If you look closely you will see a couple sparks coming off the carbide on those no coolant roughing cuts....that's kind of a no no . Man ,when I worked CNC back in '82 -'83 we had to type the program on a punch tape and feed it into the reader manually. Someone told us that one day you would be able to type a program and SEND it to the computer from another room. We thought they were dreaming !

UGLY OLDS

the first lathed roughing cuts were probably taking 3/4" or more off diameter per cut with no coolant

I can't picture a machine taking that big of a cut from steel ....  :shock:

Anything more than .020 on my Atlas makes the belt slip ...   :roll:

Just the way I like it ..... 8)  No "production" needed here ... :lol:

1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"the first lathed roughing cuts were probably taking 3/4" or more off diameter per cut with no coolant

I can't picture a machine taking that big of a cut from steel ....  :shock:

Anything more than .020 on my Atlas makes the belt slip ...   :roll:

Just the way I like it ..... 8)  No "production" needed here ... :lol:

What is a lathe without a little belt slap. :shock: My lathe has a flat belt on it. It slaps every time the joint goes over the small pulley.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

I will remove 1" per pass on my Voest lathe to demonstrate serious roughing to my students. The standard moderns in my shop 11x34 routinely pull .250" on a good roughing cut. I tell my students you can't hurry on a finish cut . If you want to make good time on a machining project you do it in the roughing cuts.We have a scrap metal bin that I pull material out of for them to learn how to use the lathe. I encourage them to try different feeds and speeds and depths of cut so they understand what their machine can do. Once they are confident on the machine THEN we start project work.