GM rally wheel problems

Started by Beck, November 07, 2014, 10:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

I decided to put GM "Corvette" rally wheels on my Blazer when I purchased it. I didn't want to spend the $$ for the aluminum wheels I liked. Now after months of working on vibration I have accumulated 8 of the 15x7 GM wheels, 2 15x8 GM wheels, and 2 aftermarket 15x8 rally wheels. I have bead blasted and painted all but 2 of the 15x7's.

NONE of them are useable. All are bent to the point of causing vibration in the Blazer. Thinking I was looking at the wrong part I had the drive shaft balanced without helping.

So I spent the $$ and bought new repop rally wheels. Thinking my problem was in the rear wheels I bought those first. They balanced fine. Then after realizing my original front wheels were bad, I bought those. I still have to paint and install the front wheels. This BETTER solve the problem.

By now I could have more than paid for those aluminum wheels and tires I wanted in the beginning. Along the way I bought 2 new sets of 4 15x7 trim rings (first set I didn't like), a new pair of 15x8 trim rings, and 6 center caps (which I am unhappy with). I have a fully dressed rally wheel spare since it is visible inside the back of the Blazer.

Guys need to quit selling known junk at the swap meets and on Craigslist. I could take the bent wheels to a swap meet this weekend to cut my losses and screw the poor next guy. Instead I am going to take a chunk out of each with the plasma cutter (so I know they will not be reused) and junk them.

enjenjo

It's surprising how easily Ralley wheels bend if you slide them into a curb, and have no sign of damage. Back in the early 80s when all the Vettes had them, I straightened them for a local Corvette shop. I had a rig with a hub mounted on it, a heavy plate, and a hydraulic jack to straighten them. It's long gone, but it made me some money.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

You should straighten the wheels, and then sell them to cut your losses.  I would bolt one to the blazer rear axle (maybe use some washers and mount them backwards), set up a dial indicator, then use a block of wood and a bfh to undo the damage.  If they bent one way, they should bend back.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Beck

I just returned from the shop. Both of the new ones are bent. One just slightly and useable. The other is to far out for use. Naturally a steel wheel isn't going to be perfect, but this isn't acceptable. I called the supplier, who has to get with the mfg.... yada - yada - yada

I had an offer on the truck at the shop.... I might just say adios.  Im in a bad mood!

Beck

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"You should straighten the wheels, and then sell them to cut your losses.  I would bolt one to the blazer rear axle (maybe use some washers and mount them backwards), set up a dial indicator, then use a block of wood and a bfh to undo the damage.  If they bent one way, they should bend back.

John
That isn't an unacceptable idea, but no thanks.
How long will it take me to straighten a wheel? I have unlimited work right now at 1 1/2 times my normal rate. I can spend the hours at work instead of straightening the wheels and come out ahead.
Scrap metal.

wayne petty

hmm... i was thinking of a decent USED or really cheep hub and bearing assembly.. a chunk of I beam or W beam... some creative way to mount it so you can get deep offset rims mounted.. so you can check the runout of rims you mount..  one may need to drill a second bolt pattern just for kicks.. or use a second hub and bearing assembly..  perhaps on the other end of the same but slightly longer beam..

only issue is the hub and bearing assemblies MUST HAVE NO PLAY at all.

this is just an idea..  might even make it so it slips on your favorite jacking beam..