C-6 wimpy 2nd gear shift

Started by junkyardjeff, October 30, 2014, 11:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

It kind of wants to slide in second and not firmly like 3rd so I got looking at my 71 shop manuals,there is a intermediate band which I presume they mean is second and it says loosen nut and torque to 10 ft pounds and then loosen 1 1/2 turns. I think thats the band nut I had to loosen when I installed the Lokar shifter so I probably loosened the band some.

junkyardjeff

I am going to adjust it this weekend and see how it does,I have been turning in the adjustment on the modulator valve and might have to back it out after adjusting the band.

kb426

1976 was the last time I worked on one but I bought an inch pound torque wrench to do that. I didn't have a foot lb. one that went that low. I had a short tail c6 in a gas dragster with a SOHC427 in it.
TEAM SMART

junkyardjeff

I am not  sure if my torque wrench will fit so I might have to buy a inch pound version.

wayne petty

the tightness of the band as a starting point it really NOT that critical..

they don't want you going in with an air impact.. or an air ratchet..  even the exotic butterfly air impact..

turn loosen the jam nut... hold the jam nut with its wrench and turn the set screw in till you can feel the band bind against the drum..  then back it out 1.5 turns and while holding the set screw so it does not turn while you tighten the lock nut...

a few tips here.. as it sounds like you might be building this soon..
did you just swap this one in...  do you still have the one you removed?? C6's are not that much harder than a C4 to rebuild..

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/drivetrain/34358/

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/ford-c6-automatic-transmission-rebuild/

junkyardjeff

I could not get my toque wrench in there so I just snugged it up and loosened 1 1/2 turns,that band was real loose and it shifts much better now. It got rid of some rattling noises that came from the trans.

junkyardjeff

The shop manual shows a compact special torque wrench and where could one find one,it would make adjusting the bands much easier if I had one.

UGLY OLDS

As was posted before .. All we ever used was a 6" end wrench & tightened them "snug" ..  C4 /C6 /FMX ... All the Fords .. Both bands ... A "snug" fit & proceed from there .... Never had an issue ..... 8)

If you get into the valve body , THEN you will NEED the inch lbs torque wrench...They are pretty critical & can be bent / warped very easily ....

Bob .... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

junkyardjeff

I want to find something that will fit that square bolt for the band better then just using a wrench,if I could find a socket to fit it and use it with a long 1/4 inch ratchet it would make the job much easier.

wayne petty

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"I want to find something that will fit that square bolt for the band better then just using a wrench,if I could find a socket to fit it and use it with a long 1/4 inch ratchet it would make the job much easier.

8 point sockets...  you might also want do dig into your tool box and see if you have any.. or any tap driver sockets.. most of those have a snap ring making them hard to get on..

if you get desperate... do you have several non twist tapered shank easy outs.. set a 3/8 nut on the slightly parted jaws of a vice and drive the easy out into it  changing the threading into a square drive.. this will allow you to turn it over and drive the easy out free and then see if it will fit over the square head of the band adjuster stud..  you may have to attempt this 3 or 4 times to get the fit right.. then you can use a conventional socket.

i could not find them any more at the craftsman site.. they may still exist in the sears or kmart stores...  8 point sockets..

page 186 in this catalog.. middle of the left page and also at the bottom of the left page..

http://www.e-digitaleditions.com/t/53969/

this is the craftsman industrial tool catalog.. not the regular so its got more goodies just in time for christmas..

oh... and you can get a BEAM type 3/8 drive craftsman torque wrench for like 15 bucks that will allow you to check the apply .. but it really is NOT needed.. the torque spec is for paper people who need something to stop them from breaking out the  3/4 inch drive stuff to tighten the stud ..

wayne petty

junkyardjeff

I do have some tap drive sockets and never thought about using them,they are rarely used and easily forgotten about.