auto rotisserie - yea or nay?

Started by trackster, October 14, 2014, 03:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trackster

Thinking about getting a rotisserie to help with the 39 Chevy sedan.  Any recommendations  or things to stay away from?  Comments appreciated.  Thanks
I am CDO, kinda like OCD, but in alphabetical order, like it should be!

416Ford

I am a nay.
The rotisserie is good for a unibody car or a more modern car. Your car can be set on it side and rolled onto something soft that supports the car.

I restored Mustangs for years and the rotisserie was great for finishing off the underside of the floors...... other then that, I did all the welding on my back while the car was jigged up so nothing moved.
Spend the money on the car or on a hoist. I would take one if one was offered to me but I would not buy one for a one car build.
My .02
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

idrivejunk

I've worked mostly on "built on the spot, in the shop" variety. Usually 4x4 tubing. Fairly rugged with good size wheels and solid welds. I wood say avoid building with would, ha ha. I have seen wooden ones but can't recommend anything made of that unless the guy is a carpenter familiar with load bearing structures. Steel construction leaves a lot more room for error.

That said, I have never shopped for pre-fabs or kits. I have worked on dollies quite a bit. And I have been known to sit beds on end and cabs on the firewall. Anything goes, it just has to be safe. I'm not against just tipping one up on it's side with proper precautions and bracing dependent upon the vehicle design and the work to be done.
Matt

trackster

Thanks for the comments and pictures.   Gonna have to delay the purchase or do things the hard way.   Have tranny problems in my truck and that has to be fixed first.   This fixed income stuff kinda slows things down for the rods at times.  Thanks again for the input
I am CDO, kinda like OCD, but in alphabetical order, like it should be!