Toyota frame site?

Started by GPster, September 03, 2004, 05:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flipper

Well I found one.  The width and overall  shape between the wheels looks great.  I do have concerns about the steering box staying under the fender.  Also, the "strut rods" for the lower control arms are way out in front (I think they can be move to the back side with relative ease though).

This car is probably a  little more difficult than most as the front wheels are pushed forward.

Flipper

Quote from: "enjenjo"The Toyota frame is about 34 inches at the firewall, and gets wider out to about 42 inches at the rear axle. From memory, I may be off an inch or so.

Your mind hasn't gone yet.  Those are about what I measured.

enjenjo

Quote from: "Flipper"
Quote from: "enjenjo"The Toyota frame is about 34 inches at the firewall, and gets wider out to about 42 inches at the rear axle. From memory, I may be off an inch or so.

Your mind hasn't gone yet.  Those are about what I measured.

I have a fairly good memory. :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

You might see what people are using in Fords and Chevys prior to 1935. Your style of body looks like it puts the front pulley of the crank right over the centerline of the front axel. You might also have some trouble with the lower radiator hose wanting to run through the front crossmember. With a frame that wide and the engine that far back, a conversion to rear steering might be accomplished and not crowd the engine bay too much. As far as moving the strut rod I would think it could be done if you kept the design engineering intact. When they do it on Mustang II conversions they keep it in line with the lower joint of the lower arm. This might be harder with a torsion bar suspension because the bars may be where the strut rod should be. Of course one of the problems going with this is when you find a late modle car that looks like it would be perfect you find out it's a uni-body. GPster