Powermaster magnetic mini starter using a remote starter

Started by vso737, September 11, 2014, 04:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vso737

Starter on a SBC motor..............

Can someone show me, diagram, of how to install a Ford style remote starter to a Powermaster magnetic HIGH TORQUE MINI starter.

NO, you can NOT just put a jumper wire on the starter like the conventional starters...........This will cause the starter to keep spinning.

Apparently, the starter has to have the IGNITION wire and the BATTERY wire hooked up.

I would like to use the remote solenoid if possible.

Thank you in advance.
"you\'re killing me Larry!"

kb426

How about from the hot when activated post of the remote sel. you run both a large wire to the large post and the activation post on the starter. Until the remote was activated there would be no juice to the starter.
TEAM SMART

vso737

I give up on it.  The POWERMASTER tech. told me YOU CAN NOT use a remote starter with these HIGH TORQUE MINI STARTERS because they are magnetic vs armature starters and if you do the starter will keep spinning.  Just like mine originally was.

I re-installed it already and just wired it up the conventional way.  NO BIG deal for me really because I have easy access to the starter and do NOT have a clearance problem.

I'm just using the remote starter as a junction box.  All the battery comes off of one post and the SOLENOID straight from the ignition switch.  NOT going through the remote starter at all.  Works well for me and I rather err on the side of caution.

Thank you for the input,
Mike
"you\'re killing me Larry!"

wayne petty

i should explain about ford PMGR starters and some of the power master units...

these need a separate solenoid to power the S terminal on the starter..

if you connect the top post on the solenoid and the S terminal on the same remote starter... this becomes an issue..

PMGR... permanent magnet gear reduction .  the field windings are replaced by curved super strong magnets.. the only windings are on the armature and connected with brushes..

the S terminal on the solenoid winding is actually grounded thru the motor terminal on the solenoid. yes the wire that goes into the starter armature.. this prevents the starter solenoid winding from burning out..  when you power it.. the magnet pulls really hard with high amps as the armature is not spinning yet..  as soon as the plunger slams the contact disc in.. the armature gets battery power...  when you have both the big wire and the small wire hooked up to a remote solenoid..  when you let go of the key.. the fender mounted solenoid disconnects the battery power to the starter.. but the armature is still spinning like crazy..  a spinning armature inside permanent magnets makes a generator.. so it starts generating power. this is enough to keep the solenoid plunger pulled in and the gear drive extended into the flywheel teeth. so you get up to 15 seconds or so of starter engagement after you have released the key..

its highly advised to run battery voltage to the big post on the starter.. and switched current to the S terminal on the solenoid..

i don't recommend running the starter solenoid off the ignition switch without a load dropping relay ..  this just makes the whole system work better.. less voltage drop thru the wiring to the ignition switch and a faster engagement of the starter solenoid..

i will see if i can get some diagrams up saturday afternoon or evening..