magazine storage

Started by chimp koose, August 25, 2014, 12:10:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

How do you store your magazine collection? I am moving my collection out to the shop and would like to store them so I can look at any of them without digging around. I have a couple filing cabinets and some Tupperware tubs that I am storing them in now. I am thinking about 500 magazines ,probably more.I don't like storing them in piles but that is what I have been doing up until now. Suggestions?

wayne petty

one gallon zip lock bags.. to keep them moisture free..  hanging file folders can keep 3 to 6 in each file.. the bags stop them from falling to the bottom in most cases. you might want cardboard inserts to support them at the centerfold.   i have a few dozen in bags.. the rest in fold up office boxes stacked full. so they cannot slip down easily..  set on one end to fill boxes.  

i probably have over 100 boxes of various car magazines. car parts catalogs and service manuals.

there might be magazine binders available still.. i have not seen any in a LONG long time. .

living in los angeles.. i got to visit the peterson autorama display west of the chinese theater in hollywood just after the first Gone in 60 seconds was released. yes mashed up eleanor was there.  but there were walls of various petersen magazines to buy.. back issues.  i forgot how much they were.. but i can still recall being completely blown away.. wanting to buy a copy of each one..  almost better was a peterson staff writer.. lived 2 doors down.. he would bring home some different exotic car almost every evening.  doing parking brake turns in front of my house made mom crazy.. but i loved it.  he even drove the silver pontiac trans am wagon home one day.. i loved it.. he was upset as the radiator leaked.

UGLY OLDS

I have , ahhhhh , a few magazines ....
A full collection of Rod & Custom from the first " big book" to the end ..( All three of the ends !!)
Hot Rod from Jan 1950 to date .
Rodders Digest .. From #1 to the end ...
Hot Rod Mechanix  from #1 to the end ...
Street Rodder from # 1 to date ...
You get the idea .....

Anyway ..I use the plastic magazine clips & store them in 3 ring binders ...  :idea:

I try to get large 3 ring binders at garage sales ...The ReStore ..Etc ..Any place I can get clean binders ...
( Scored 120 of them at one time for .10 cents EACH at the ReStore .. Couldn't get out fast enough  :oops: )

Any way ..A large binder will hold 3 or 4 years of magazines ..

Works good for me ...

By the way ...( Cheap plug here ) , these collections just may be for sale ..

I'm kind of running out of room you see, & maybe it's time for them to "migrate" to another collection   :?:

Bob ....... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

tomslik

I "stored" mine in a dumpster a few years ago....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

chimp koose

Tomslick  I am not ready for that step yet. Too much emotional attachment. Ugly olds... Where do you get magazine clips, I don't know what they are. I work in a school, I can have as many used binders as I want for free. Kids never take them home at the end of the school year.Wayne I have filing cabinets to store them in but I want to have them easy to access not a cardboard insert ,although that would stop the bunching up at the bottom .Thanks everyone for the replies

BFS57

Hello;
My Turn! I always thought that if a guy bought a desk top computer, a scanner and had the time, the best would be to scan the "important" articles, and put them on a computer. Therefore only a computer is needed, no long term storage, just put files in "drop Box" so they can be accessed from anywhere! TIME TO MODERN UP!

Bruce
P.S. Mine went to the library!

lofat46

I used to save all my magazines but no more.  Just too much of a hassle and I never looked at them.  If I need to look at something again I go on line.  I don't just throw them away though.  I save them for a year, box them up and then drop them off at the local high school's auto shop classes.  Last year a local business was asking for magazines to send to the troops so I gave them last year's box.  An idea I have is to get my fellow club members to cruise to a VA hospital for an impromptu car show and drop off magazines to our vet's that are hospitalized. :D

UGLY OLDS

QuoteUgly olds... Where do you get magazine clips, I don't know what they are.

This is the best photo I could find on line ... These seem fairly expensive though but it shows the best description...You put the first half of the magazine through the slot , then close the magazine ..
The plastic thingie with the 3 holes sticks out of the book ready to be inserted in the 3 ring binder ... .. My grandsons were getting them for me as Christmas presents for the last few years & they were able to find them in "bulk" ..( 6 plastic "thingies" to a sheet, multiple sheets to the package ) ..
Maybe look on "E-Bay" .. we found some with a bid of $3.00 for a hundred ...
 Sorry I cannot locate them on line in bulk ...

Another option is printer paper boxes .. They are the correct size for 2 stacks of magazines ..
If you know any ladies that sell Avon products , the boxes they receive their Avon products in will be the correct size for 2 stacks ..
You MUST alternate the "spine" of the books to avoid "Stacking Curl" ...
Avon boxes will hold approx. 5 years of most mags ....
The boxes get quite heavy but stack well & come with covers ....

http://www.amazon.com/Magazine-Holders-Protectors-3-Ring-Binders/dp/B0026JYK3Q

As far as "giving them away", I took a complete collection of Car Craft magazine,( From 1962 to about 1998 or so),  to a swap meet one year & found no interest in them at $1.00 each ...
A young man ( teen aged )  showed great interest in them as reference for he & his friends building customs ....  I GAVE him the complete collection thinking they were going to a good cause ..

We found them 2 hours later in his booth being sold quite briskly at $.50 each ...   :roll:

After that experience, old mags that I do not want are recycled .... :(

Hope this helps ....
Bob ..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

tossed most of them into recycle bin. could not find a home for them.  Gave many to a fellow that sells on eBay.  He has the patience to wait n sell
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

chimp koose

That 3 ring deal looks like my best bet. I read the old mags so much in my youth that I can recall articles by seeing that particular magazine cover.