Blue smoke!!!

Started by butch27, June 15, 2014, 07:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butch27

My T- Bucket  with a 302" Ford very mild engine  -- After a 140 mile trip last week  it started belching black thick smoke.  I cleaned the carb and finally hooked up the electric choke.  Started great  choke worked and THEN it started with the light blue smoke only out the right side header.  It only has 2,000 miles on it.  Help. and Thanks

lofat46

Does it only blow blue smoke on start up or all the time?  I'm not that familiar with Fords but on Chevy's blue smoke on start-up only usually indicates a bad valve guide/seal but will go away after initial start up.  Continuous blue smoke could indicate a piston ring or cylinder wall issue. Pull the plugs and see if any of them are oil fouled.  If it continues you may want to do a compression test and maybe a leak down test.  I hope it's a simple fix for you.

papastoyss

Pull the dipstick & take a whiff. If the oil smells like gasoline you may have hurt the motor by driving w/ the choke not fully open which will result in the problems mentioned in the first reply. Good Luck!!!
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

GPster

I don't know about a 2,000 mile motor but older Fords I think have a lot of problems with the oil drain back . You might pull that valve cover and see if it looks like a lot of oil has been laying in the area around the valve stems. GPster

butch27

I had the choke wired open since I only drive in the Summer.  ??  My Bad

Crosley.In.AZ

Auto matic transmittin?    Vacuum hooked up for the automatic?

Maybe sucking in trans oil if modulator is bad
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

butch27

Yes Auto  c-4 trans.  How do I check modulator??

crdnblu

At the transmission, pull the vacuum line; if any transmission fluid is in the line, the diaphragm has a leak.  If so, replace the modulator.
Also, remember to check the transmission fluid after installing the replacement modulator, to verify correct fluid level.

butch27

Thanks-- easy fix if that is the problem