1962 Falcon radiator install, need fan

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, September 07, 2004, 11:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I have the aluminum rad I bought from enjenjo setup in the Falcon. It fits great and will cool the hot 6 cyclinder I am sure.  That is IF I can get a fan ( mechanical or lectric) in there.

In the photos of the rad , on the card board are 2 curved , black lines that intersect.

These lines are 12 inches out from the corner where the fins, tank header pieces meet & are welded.  This is simply a point of reference in the photos for size.

I have very little room for a fan . Even less room in front of the radiator behind the grill.  The tranny cooler is on one side in front of the radiator area.

In the bottom photo of the pulley at the cardboard covering the rad.... there is only about 5/8 inch clearance.... mayb a bit more.

Any suggestions on fans?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

wvcab

perhaps a "pusher fan" mounted in front of the radiator? mid 80s caddy had a nice unit, about 12" in diameter....

Robert

GPster

It's too early in the morning to add CFMs together but. if you built a shroud on the back-side of the radiator without the fan hole in it. Looking at it from the top I would imagine something that lookied like a flattened out capital "M" with the center being down to 5/8" so that there would be room for the water pump pulley. Take the radiator heat out with 2 fans, one on either side, with flexable ducts. These ducts would exit out the inner fender panels and into the front wheel wells. Rather than using fans,use some small type of blowers  where the duct from the radiator goes to the suction side of the blower and the discharge end of the blower goes right to the inner fenders. I'll think about it some more later but I've got a 10:00 appointment with my therapist. GPster

sirstude

How about a shroud and a flex fan.  I know they are not the most effecient fans, but most are flat on the radiator side and not too deep on the water pump side.  I think you will need a shroud to make them pull enough air at idle though.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Jbird

5/8 of an inch, you're screwed dude. But wait, maybe you could buy 40 of those little computer fans and glue them all over the radiator. Or, build a water pump pulley with the fan mounting flange farther back from the radiator and use a fan designed for a fan clutch. Just a thought.
     Jbird
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

Dave

Quote from: "Crosley"I have the aluminum rad I bought from enjenjo setup in the Falcon. It fits great and will cool the hot 6 cyclinder I am sure.  That is IF I can get a fan ( mechanical or lectric) in there.

In the photos of the rad , on the card board are 2 curved , black lines that intersect.

These lines are 12 inches out from the corner where the fins, tank header pieces meet & are welded.  This is simply a point of reference in the photos for size.

I have very little room for a fan . Even less room in front of the radiator behind the grill.  The tranny cooler is on one side in front of the radiator area.

Any suggestions on fans?

Pusher in the front is the only way your gonna get a fan on it. Spal is good and so is zirgo. I just put a zirgo on the model a im working on although its got a recored origional rrad in it and it never got hot even idleing here which i though was different but good..
Dave

rooster

I thought mine was tight!!!

1.How about if you bring the template toward the engine 1", modifying to acomadate the pump pully, then check for fiting 2 smaller fans!

2. move the engine back!

Jbird

Another thought. How about taking a plastic fan like the one in the picture and modifying it to bolt on to the water pump. The fan in the picture is off a 94 Viper and is only an inch and a quarter thick.
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

348tripower

Tony,
 Hows about 2 10" pullers mounted side by side? Speedway sells some pretty cheap and I'm sure there are others. These would be the round ones. Looks like you could mount them and clear the pulley and each other. :lol:
Don
Don Colliau

old32

Can you shorted the waterpump snout and use a different flat pully?
:twisted:  :twisted: The Older I Get The Faster I Was :twisted:  :twisted:

GPster

Quote from: "old32"Can you shorted the waterpump snout and use a different flat pully?
Or can you remove the pump all together and use some kind of electric driven pump? If you use an electric driven pump and an electric fan there would bee no need for a fan belt except a short one to drive the alternater (generater?). You aren't running power steering are you? I've also thought that a better place for a water inlet might be nearer the center of the block  so that the front cylinderwalls and the back cylinder walls had the same chance at tempered water circulation. Like maybe if you put the water in the holes in the sides of the block where the "freeze-out plugs" are. I also wonder why you need any of this at all. I thought this was a vehicle that would only get driven a 1/4 mile at a time? Then I remembered your so called shake down trips on the county roads near you garage (stash). Street Racing died with you Isetta (?) when most Honda motorcycle engines were air-cooled. GPster