Under-hood, work , trouble light : suggestions: what type??

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, May 22, 2014, 09:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I've worn out another trouble light.   Broke it : is better description.  Currently Using a basic aluminum clamp on shell type light now with basic incandescent bulb.

I am looking at LED lights and other options.  Brighter light seems to help me under a car.

Prefer a corded - plug in light, not a battery powered light.  Cords are a PITA usually, but it seems batterys go dead at the wrong time ( I forget to charge them)  , not enough light from battery powered stuff.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

jaybee

I have a couple of trouble lights. One is a flourescent, one of those tubular lights that are common these days. I like it. The other is an old-style but I replaced the incandescent bulb with a CFL. Seems like a small thing but the CFL is more impact resistant. Being cool to the touch it also has less inclination to explode should it accidentally be hit with a drop of liquid.

That said LEDs are certainly the wave of the future. I'm using them in some locations around the house and am sold. They last almost forever, take an incredibly small amount of power (a 2.5w unit replaces a 25w halogen in an under-cabinet puck light) and they're coming down in price. The light also tends to be very white which is nice.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

This is the one I am using  http://www.summitracing.com/parts/oes-25989 It's battery operated, but the cord is long enough to use it while it's plugged in.

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Beck

I brought a monster home from work this winter. I knew I had to do some work under a Jeep. I'm not sure what kind of bulb this has in it, but it is old school. It was kind of nice under the Jeep in the winter. This thing is almost like a heater!

I mounted it to the ceiling about a couple weeks ago and directed it to an engine bay I was working in. Now the heat isn't so great. I think I sunburned the top of my head.

How tough are the LED light bulb replacements. I'm like Crosley and am looking for something new. I thought about one of the "basic aluminum clamp on shell type" that he refered to but using the LED bulb for the light source in it. I can break anything so I would like to keep the cost managable.

jaybee

I'm sure they can be broken but LED's are pretty tough as they're solid state and not made of glass.

Crosley.In.AZ

I use the CFL bulbs inside the house.  The 6500K rating or there abouts.  Very white light, not soft white.  My eyes dont like the soft light or florescent in soft white rating of 3500K .

I installed a 830 lumens CFL 6500k bulb  in my clamp light. So far... that works better.

Still looking around at what is out there for trouble lights.

I see a wide variance in prices on what appears to be the same lights..  A longer cord is a must for me too
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

jaybee

Yeah, color temp is everything with lights. I too go for the warmest available.

348tripower

I just bought an Eastwood LED under hood light for $79.00 free shipping on ebay. Nice bright light. The only draw back is it looses charge pretty quickly. It will work when plugged int the charger tho. I think the charger should have been built in or just a power supply with a big long cord on it. :shock:  I am pretty happy with it except for that.
Don Colliau

29abone

[/b]Hey Crosley, I use a fluorescent from Home Depot, Bay something.  It puts out 100-120 Watts equivalent.  Only a 6 foot cord though.  After a couple years the transisters inside loosen up, and I just replace it.
Larry

The joy is in the journey.