Have you wired a car?

Started by jaybee, April 17, 2014, 10:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Here are some of the crimpers I use. I have more. I do most connections with uninsulated terminals, and seal them with black shrink tube, It makes a neat looking job
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

I had two sets of wire strippers that "look like" those Matcos in 011...purchased from one of those vendors that roams with the Goodguys shows. One set fell apart. The other still works but I'm sure not as well as a good quality tool. It's still a bunch better than stripping wire with a knife.  

I also have crimpers that are much like the Matcos at top in 008. They aren't Matcos but still a good quality brand. Yeah, you have to really clamp down on them but they do good work for me.

I seem to remember talking here at some point about the ability to replace the electrical ends inside connectors...weatherpack and otherwise, say if you need to replace a wire. Is anyone able to speak to that?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

These are the tools I use. They cover most terminals, including some computer terminals.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"

The only information the computer needs from the instruments is Vehicle speed. And there are several Vehicle speed sensors that will fit inline to the speedo cable that will provide the correct signal.
I'll keep that in mind. The idea caused me to wonder so I went back to my factory wiring diagram (it's probably been three years) and did some re-considering. A lot of the computer wiring goes across the firewall and through the bulkhead under the fuse box. Then most of that wiring bundle goes to the gauge cluster and from there a smaller bundle continues on to the computer under the dash. The most I checked in the wiring for the gauge panel was to delete the seat belt, door ajar and key in the ignition alarms. When it started going to the printed circuit wiring boards I backed off. Because my last look at the wiring was so long ago I forgot that I had never finished the job I had intended to do. I had hi-lighted the wires and components that were or could be removed but I had never gotten to the step where I would doctor another set of wiring diagrams by "whiting-out" those discarded and hi-lighted items and have a set of clean and simplified wiring diagrams. I hadn't eliminated the VSS but it's wiring had been continued on the next page. I'd put a carb on it but then I'd have to find a distributor with vacuum advance and with the caution that everyone advises on the cable going to 700R transmissions I don't press that thought.GPster

kb426

Frank, I didn't find a source for the Durite tools that wasn't overseas. Is that the only place I'll find them?
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"Frank, I didn't find a source for the Durite tools that wasn't overseas. Is that the only place I'll find them?

I got mine from Matco. Here they are at Sears

http://www.sears.com/lisle-wire-terminal-tool-and-trouble-code/p-00915013000P

http://www.sears.com/lisle-wire-terminal-tool/p-00915322000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kpid=00915322000&kispla=00915322000P

kb426

Order placed. Thank you, Frank.
TEAM SMART