Still in upholstery mode...

Started by My52Chebby, April 19, 2014, 01:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My52Chebby

Hi guys,

I glued blocks of foam, shaped them with an electric carving knife and bodywork sanding disks to shape. Then marked where I thought the seams should go and made patterns to match those seam lines. Then cut out the vinyl with an added 3/8" of an inch for seam allowance all around. The next step was to be my wife's work but she got the jitters, she's a quilter and seamstress but it was the vinyl that scared her off. She offered to pay for someone else to sew the pieces together for me (This is MY truck project and I haven't farmed anything out yet).

These are the foam blocks glued up.

After a bit of shaping.

Thursday morning I sat down by the old Singer sewing machine I bought just for this project (paid $150. plus shipping on eBay for a machine from the '50's, it's built like a Mack truck) and did a few tests. As it turned out, I'm a natural. My dad was a fireman and he learned to knit, cook and sew to pass the time at the fire hall. So here's what I've done so far...

That wire hanging from the bottom is for the heated seat pad... After 12 years in the shop, I plan to DRIVE this thing...

Here's the seat back.

I've sewn up the second seat back and will upholster it next...  After that it's on to the bench seat... It's a bit more complex but I'm pumped now.

It started from foam blocks too...

Seeing as I'm planning to do EVERYTHING myself it could be another 2 years before the truck is finished. Idealy, I would have liked a shake-down run in the late fall of this year. Don't think that's going to happen.

After upholstery, I'll be back into the electrical system and final fitting everything in the cab. There's about 20% bodywork left to do, the electrical system is quite complex (of my own doing). Then a final dismantling before painting. I've fabricated racks to hold fenders, front and back, box sides and doors for painting. It will be painted a solid color so painting the parts separately is not a problem.

Here's a link to my truck build's Fotki album:
http://public.fotki.com/skylark/1952-chevy-pickup/

Later guys...

My52Chebby

enjenjo

Looks like something you can be proud of.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Digger

Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

jaybee

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

1800guy

Very nice indeed!  Do the different colors of foam denote different densities?
My project is 90% finished, with only 90% to go.

kb426

I checked out your photo album. Looking good.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

I also checked out your photo album ... Excellent work ... When you built your seat frame , did you include any provision for seat tracks or a method to move the the seat to the front & back ??  

Loots of good idea's in the photo album ...

Thanks ... :b-d:

Bob  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

My52Chebby

Quote from: "1800guy"Very nice indeed!  Do the different colors of foam denote different densities?

Except for the white foam, I couldn't tell the difference in densities by touch.

The blue/green and darker beige are both pretty stiff. If I had to say, the blue/green might be a bit stiffer.

My52Chebby

My52Chebby

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"I also checked out your photo album ... Excellent work ... When you built your seat frame , did you include any provision for seat tracks or a method to move the the seat to the front & back ??  

Loots of good idea's in the photo album ...

Thanks ... :b-d:

Bob  :wink:

In my daily cars I like to drive as far back as I can, arms nearly extended to the steering wheel. In my truck cab, that won't be possible, the only options I had was to locate the tilt-steering wheel as close to the dash as possible with no interference and the seat as far back as possible (with a comfortable seat angle), there aren't any adjustments (for other drivers).

My52Chebby

jaybee

That's certainly one of those things that is an individual preference. My own preference is to have the steering wheel much closer, with my elbows down and not too far in front of my chest. In cars with a telescoping wheel normally I'll adjust it all the way out.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

phat46

My52Chebby

... to show it's complexity.

I'll post finished product when it's done.

My52Chebby

rumrumm

I have to tell you that I am very impressed by your work. You may have  found a new calling!
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com