Plastic upholstery backer

Started by enjenjo, April 10, 2014, 12:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Sintra is one brand, there are others. It is a semi-rigid plastic foam board made from either ABS, or PVC, both seem to work good. Keyston Upholstery Supply carries it, but are wholesale only. A local trim shop can get it for you, or it's available on line. It's also used to make signs.

I use 1/8" and use a doubler strip on the back where it is stapled. You can cut it with a utility knife, or with scissors. It comes in several colors, I usually use white because the lines show up better. It can be glued with regular plumbing cement, and can be spliced to use up smaller pieces, as long as you use a backer strip. I sand a taper on the ends of backer strips so all the edges are the same.

You can cut 2" squares, with a hole punched in the center and glue on the back for hidden clips to hold it on, or used velcro strips to hold it in place. It vacuum forms easily with only moderate heat. It can also be bent and curved with moderate heat, and will hold it's shape when cool.

It has a satin finish, so does not need sanding for contact cement to hold to it, so you can wrap it with vinyl or leather easily.

Any other questions?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rumrumm

Thanks for the tip. I wish that had been available to me when I was doing my interior.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

jaybee

Wow, this stuff is very adaptable. I spent a little Google time with it. People are using it to build everything from signs to R/C aircraft and even laminating it in place of wooden cores in fiberglass boats!
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)