Long time, no see. Would like some radiator suggestions

Started by 48builder, March 28, 2014, 09:26:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

Hi Everyone,

Been a few years since I've posted. Old-timers may remember the 48 Chevy custom street rod I've been building for 17 years now. Hope to get started back on it this year. Work keep getting in the way.

Other than that, I need a new cooling system for my 39 Chevy with 350 and auto tranny. The radiator in it is a Walker I bought in 1990. It works fine as long as the air temp is under 80 degrees. Much over that and I over heat. Always has. I have a shroud and electric fan and I know it pulls a lot of air through.

Thinking of putting in an aluminum radiator. Any suggestions on make, etc? I looked on the Griffin web site and theirs with shroud and fans is $1500. A little more than I'd like to spend but will spend what I need in order to have the thing work. I'd like to drive it a bit more this year.

Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

416Ford

For my 46 Ford with a 302 Automatic in it. I was able to find C,G,&J before they started making a 100 different radiators. I think I only paid $275 mine and now there getting up in price. Still not as high as Walker or Griffin so here is a link.

http://www.cgj.com/index.php?cPath=69
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

48builder

Just got off the phone with C, G and J. They have what I need at what seems to be a great price. They quoted me 395 for radiator, 75 for oil cooler, 125 for 16" fan and 125 for shroud. So for 730 plus shipping I'm in business. I'll probably add on a A/C condenser which I imagine should be under $200.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

kb426

Before I'd buy a new radiator, I'd keep looking for the source of the problem. Unless your radiator is plugged or to small for the engine, I don't think that's your problem. I switched back and forth with brass and alum. and haven't found the alum. to do anything better that was noticeable.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

I agree with KB426, before I changed the radiator I would find out why it heats. It can be anything from a bad vacuum advance, to a worn timing chain, to the air bypassing the radiator over the top.  A Walker is not a bad radiator as long as it is the one recommended by Walker.

What are the symptoms other than the outside temperature? Low speeds, high speeds, stopped in traffic, ect.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

48builder

Quote from: "enjenjo"
What are the symptoms other than the outside temperature? Low speeds, high speeds, stopped in traffic, ect.

Yeah, I've looked at the timing and advance, never have heard about timing chain being an issue but the engine only has 20K miles, shouldn't be an issue. It really seems to be only when air temp is above 80, although if I have to sit in traffic for a long time it  will creep up.

I've got an event coming up May 17 where a bunch of us rodders drive my local high school kids to their senior ball. We do a slow loop through our village and then take them to their party. When we drop them off and pick them up I always have a problem if it's a warm night. So I'm looking to get something else in place before this year's event.

As for the Walker, I suppose it's fine, but a few years back it developed a leak and in order to get where I needed to go I put in a can of "stop leak". It stopped the leak, but if I go to the trouble this year to take everything out, I figured I'll go ahead and replace the whole shooting match.
'39 Chevy driver

kb426

At what point do you have your fan come on? I have found that if your fan comes on before it's needed that it stands a better chance of doing it's job. I have the Centec adjustable controller that also has an override switch. Anytime I'm in "parade" mode, I just switch it on. I'm using a Cooling components shroud and fan. It's pretty quiet so you don't annoy people with the sound.
TEAM SMART

jaybee

Your distributor has a vacuum advance, correct? How hot is "hot"?

When you say it only heats up when ambient temp is above 80, does that mean at all speeds or in stop and go? I ask because you mentioned it warms up when standing still even when the air is cooler. That makes me suspicious it has to do with airflow. Could be a fan or shroud that aren't getting the job done, recirculating air from behind the radiator to the front, or perhaps the air isn't getting exhausted properly. Older cars often don't let the air out of the engine compartment all that well, thus the need for louvered hood sides and such.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

48builder

Quote from: "jaybee"Your distributor has a vacuum advance, correct? How hot is "hot"?

When you say it only heats up when ambient temp is above 80, does that mean at all speeds or in stop and go?.

Yes, vacuum advance. It will climb to 250+. I usually pull over and shut down at that point.

You could be on to something with the airflow. I mounted a GM electric fan on it, from a Chevy Lumina as I recall. It fit perfect but maybe that's the issue. When I get it out of storage here in a week or two I'll take a closer look and see if perhaps that is it. The fan seems to pull a lot of air, but perhaps it is pulling from the sides and not through the fins. I'm pretty sure it is sealed around the sides but it was 20 years ago when I put it together. I'll take a closer look now.

My radiator does have the A/C condenser mounted in front. Perhaps that is interfering with airflow through the radiator.
'39 Chevy driver

jaybee

Yep, that's hot!

I parted out a Lumina a few years ago and saved the fans...but there were two. Maybe yours came from a different year when they only used one, but if yours came from a car that used two on a 3.1L one probably isn't enough for a 350.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

48builder

Based on what you guys have suggested, I think I'm going to pull the Walker unit out and take it to my local radiator shop and have it cleaned and repaired. I'm going to look around for a electric fan setup that is custom built for this rather than hoping the old Lumina fan works.

I erroneously thought that aluminum radiators are inherently better than copper, but since that isn't the case there seems no reason to ditch the Walker.

If it works, I'll have about $400 in it rather than $1000+.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Walt
'39 Chevy driver

kb426

TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

QuoteBased on what you guys have suggested, I think I'm going to pull the Walker unit out and take it to my local radiator shop and have it cleaned and repaired.

Contact Walker with the model number about having it "reconditioned " ...

You may be pleasantly surprised ....  :idea:

Bob .... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

BFS57

Hello;
The best fan you can get for the Walker is the Cooling Componants unit, comes with a shroud for about $235.00. Then all you need is a temp controller, I have one from Flex A Lite, never had a cooling problem so far.

Bruce