Lost my Sway Bar

Started by 50 F1, April 13, 2014, 07:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50 F1

Somehow I lost my sway bar for my truck. It has a 1972 Monte Carlo sub frame under it. What cars can I get a sway bar off from that will fit?  Chevelle, Cutlas, Regal, Skylark, Lemans ??

Thanks  Mike

enjenjo

Any of those 68 to 72.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

I have to ask, How in the world do you lose a sway bar? The roads that bad down there?
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

50 F1

LOL  No I should of wrote misplaced my sway bar.

1800guy

Being in Michigan I figured you meant "lost it on the road" also.
My project is 90% finished, with only 90% to go.

Canuck

Running one off a 81 Trans-Am on my 64 Chevelle.  Had to use the Trans-Am mounting bushings to fit the 1 1/8" bar.

Canuck
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

50 F1

I had the sub frame installed a long long time ago before I had much knowledge and tools by a well respected shop in Saginaw MI.  The width was too wide so they had to get with Fat Man Fabrications for narrowed A arms.  This was there choice on which sub to put in.

The A Arms don't have mounting points for the sway bar so I am starting from scratch as far as the width and mounting tabs.  Is there anyway I can find out what bar would  work the best  for this set up before going to the salvage yard and buying one?  I know a bar for a 72 monte or any of the above mentioned cars will work on the frame but what about the width?  Is there a chart somewhere on the net on width of sway bars?

Thanks Mike

wayne petty

a hint...

bend some electrical conduit.. EMT.. start with the section between the frame rails.. so you have a decent amount of clearance with the crank pulleys...

place duct tape in the areas the frame bracket bushings fit...

bend the ends to duplicate the shape you need to reach the area above the new end link mounting points..  

you now have a light weight tool.  to carry with you into the junk yards to see if something from some car might fit...

87 rear wheel drive full size caddies have really large front sway bars.  that may also fit earlier A bodies and G bodies..

you might look under S10 pickups and blazers also..

there are some custom sway bar shops out there. some coil spring and leaf spring manufacturers can bend and heat treat custom sway bars.. or go to a nascar type of splined bar.. with clamp on end levers..