61 Olds 215 Tech Data - Help!!!

Started by Bib_Overalls, September 05, 2004, 11:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bib_Overalls

Couple of months ago I bought a 61 all aluminum 61 Olds 215.  My plan is to run it in a little lakes style 26/27 roadster.  Well, I am ready to starty asembling the long block.  But before I can start I need the tech data; torque settings, head bolt tightening sequence and any other assembly "quirks.".  The rocker arm shafts are held in place by head bolts and I understand they are installed and torqued down AFTER the other head bolts have been torqued.  But I don't have the tech data to confirm this.  I went to the library and guess what, they had just trown out all of their Chilton and Motor reference books from the 60s.  No "calls" in several years.

I have searched the net and all I can find is a $35 book printed in England that covers the Rover variant.  D&D Fabrications occasionally has service manuals but they want a bunch for them.

Is there any possibility one of you RRTers has a manual with the assembly tech data for this neat little engine?  If possible, I would really appreciate some photo copies of the relevant pages.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

GPster

I happen to have a 1961 Motor Manual that has an engine assemble Section on these little engines, I always thought that they were the same as the Buick motors except for the heads. Looking real closely the tightening sequence and even the bolt pattern doesn't appear to be the same between the two engines(maybe Buick used a cast-iron engine in their '61 Special). The Olds tightening seguence looks the rocker arms are the first one's to be tightened in the sequence. Of course a Motor Manual doesn't offer any performance but if there's any information from their that you might need, let me know. GPster

Bib_Overalls

The Buick motors have a flat "nailhead" valve cover.  Their rocker shafts bolt to the head.  The Buick blocks do not have the top row of head bolts.  You can put Buick 215 and 1964 Buick 300 heads (also aluminum) on the Olds and Rover blocks but you can not put the Olds heads on the Buick or Rover blocks.

I will send you a "PM" with my address.  If there is any way you can photo copy the relevant pages and mail them to me I will forever be in your debt.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

BarryM

I also aquired a olds 215 for a still imaginary speedster project. I photocopied all the relevant pages in Chiltons at our library, and can send them if the other plans don't work out. Good luck, ain't it great to pursue the obscure? Barry
rodrelic@alltel.net

Bib_Overalls

Quote from: "rodrelic"Good luck, ain't it great to pursue the obscure? Barry
rodrelic@alltel.net

My 32 Ford roadster runs a small block Chevy.  At shows and rod runs someone almost always asks "Why did you go with a Chevy?"  I give them my stock answer "It is cheap.  It fits.  No surprises."  But in my gut I also wish I had done something different.

Now that I have a rod to drive I can take my time building the Lakes Modified style T.  And, since I am going to build my own chassis I can make just about any engine fit.  I had several candidates; Dodge or DeSoto hemi, Chevy II 4 banger, Quad 4, de-tuned Offy (I can dream good), and the Olds/Buick aluminum V8s.  The first one to come along was the Olds 215.  So that is how I made my decision.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

BarryM

I have 2 early flatheads to work with now, but the spec's on the 215 are impressive and I think it would make a fantastic lightweight rod. I am going to keep an eye out for more 215's or try to rebuild the one I have, probably have to make a trans adapter. Aluminum Body, model A frame, Subaru indipendent rear susp? maybe a 1000 lb car with 200 hp? Probably be a 50 MPG rod.
BTW, I sent those pages yesterday
http://www.directimagehost.com/is.php?i=8467&img=Dsc01458.jpg

Bib_Overalls

D & D Fabrications http://aluminumv8.com/ has transmission adaptors and just about everything else you need.  Their web site is not up to date.  Get their catalog before you start rebuilding.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

32 Chevy

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"D & D Fabrications http://aluminumv8.com/ has transmission adaptors and just about everything else you need.  Their web site is not up to date.  Get their catalog before you start rebuilding.

One of my hardest buyiod decisions with my 32 chev was the motor..I did not want to just build a clone 350/350 even though I had heard all the arguments about beiang easy to build, etc. I wanted different!

So I researched the 215 Buick and found a local shop, Ray Baker, whose dad had pioneered the 215 modification and hotrodding into Vegas, raceboats, etc. With Ray's help we bored and resleeved the 215, stroked it with a 300 crank, and also used oversized valved in '64 aluminum 300 heads. It now displaces 305 c.i.                                                                                                      
With a hot cam and 600 cfm carb it dynos at 315 hp but weighs only 285 pounds. Backed up with a Saginaw 4 speed the '32 is a blast to drive because it handles like a sports car. And whin I pop the hood most folks havent a clue what it is excapt for th Offenhauser valve covers and it's fun to hear the speculation of 'wow' its an indy race motor or somtehin'!!!

Go fer it!

Dave R

32 Chevy

Quote from: "32 Chevy"
Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"D & D Fabrications http://aluminumv8.com/ has transmission adaptors and just about everything else you need.  Their web site is not up to date.  Get their catalog before you start rebuilding.

One of my hardest buyiod decisions with my 32 chev was the motor..I did not want to just build a clone 350/350 even though I had heard all the arguments about beiang easy to build, etc. I wanted different!

So I researched the 215 Buick and found a local shop, Ray Baker, whose dad had pioneered the 215 modification and hotrodding into Vegas, raceboats, etc. With Ray's help we bored and resleeved the 215, stroked it with a 300 crank, and also used oversized valved in '64 aluminum 300 heads. It now displaces 305 c.i.                                                                                                      
With a hot cam and 600 cfm carb it dynos at 315 hp but weighs only 285 pounds. Backed up with a Saginaw 4 speed the '32 is a blast to drive because it handles like a sports car. And whin I pop the hood most folks havent a clue what it is excapt for th Offenhauser valve covers and it's fun to hear the speculation of 'wow' its an indy race motor or somtehin'!!!

Go fer it!

Dave R

Now I'll try to add a photo, too.

Bib_Overalls

Quote from: "32 Chevy"I researched the 215 Buick and found a local shop, Ray Baker, whose dad had pioneered the 215 modification and hotrodding into Vegas, raceboats, etc. With Ray's help we bored and resleeved the 215, stroked it with a 300 crank, and also used oversized valved in '64 aluminum 300 heads. It now displaces 305 c.i.

Impressive set up.  Can you post a close up picture of the engine?

I thought about running a Buick 300 crank and 64 aluminum heads (I have a lead on two donor motors) but that adds a lot of expense and this is a budget build.  I will most likely buy one of the Buick 300s and also look for a 215 Buick to set aside as well.  Somewhere along the way I will get the itch for more horse power, I always do.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks