Getting a 98 dodge truck without a motor

Started by junkyardjeff, March 09, 2014, 06:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

It presently has a 360 but if I can not find one I am thinking about going to a 318 so if I do will it drop right in or is there anything that will need to be changed,I hope to buy a complete parts truck and I presume it will have to be a 96 and newer. The truck will be complete except for the motor.

enjenjo

As long as it's the same era, it will drop right in.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

1998 Dodge RAM 1500 1/2 ton 2WD:
   Available engines
6 Cylinders X 3.9L MFI
8 Cylinders Y 5.2L MFI (found in 66% of 1998 Dodge RAM 1500 1/2 ton 2WD)
8 Cylinders Z 5.9L MFI (found in 34% of 1998 Dodge RAM 1500 1/2 ton 2WD)

check PM for something you will want.

do you have to SMOG the truck where you live???? if so.. look at the 8th digit and attempt to match up the donor truck perfectly..

how much of the harness is missing or cut away when the components were removed???? i have seen people just chop the well out of harnesses .. saying.. oh.. let the next guy splice it..

junkyardjeff

It still has the motor but will be making sure nothing will be cut,the deal is that I will have another motor when its pulled so they can drop it right back in and I can drive it home.We have no smog test here right now.

Arnold

I can't imagine not being able to get a 360/5.9 and just drop it in :D

Between what..1994 or so and 2001 or so..what Dodge trucks/sport utes did they NOT come in.

I wonder how far back one would have to go before the basic 360 would not bolt up and with a bit of work..away you go.

When I was in the taxi business..there were like bazillions of Chrysler and Dodge rwd sedans that had HD Police packages with steel cranked HO 360's. Pretty much all Police cars in Toronto became taxis.
 Powerful engines,cars.

It was pretty rare that even a taxi driver busted up one of those Police engines :lol:

The trannies behind these HO 360's were no big deal..they did not last any longer than anything else..however..the same trans(HD Police) behind a 318 Police engine lasted pretty much forever..

2 components in vehicles..N American rwd sedans..1977-1987..seemed to last pretty much forever in taxi use.
  Dodge Police Trans behind a Police 318
  GM rear axle assemblies..including wheel bearings..

$500 per corner up here in Ontario..
do I know ANYONE who has not put wheel bearings in their vehicle :?:

kb426

To the best of my knowledge, all 360 magnums are the same whether they are in a full size truck or Durango. You might need a different ecu if you install a 318.
TEAM SMART