92 Geo tracker runs rich at start up when cold

Started by junkyardjeff, January 05, 2014, 10:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

Since I had to junk my beater truck I am going to drive a Geo tracker I got for free,its been sitting a few years and noticed it running a little rich when first started up when cold. No CEL on so what do I need to check.

rooster

Might take a look at the regulator if it has it, high fuel pressure also!

Mac

I just gave away a `95 Tracker to a neighbor. It ran OK but PA winters took their toll on the metal. I made sure he was fully aware of the car's issues. The worst was the tube front cross member rusted off at both ends where it connects to the frame rails. The lower control arms tie into this structure.  :shock:
Who\'s yer Data?

junkyardjeff

This one came from Florida so it is nice,not sure how long I will keep it since its a little too small.

wayne petty

want to check the coolant temp sensor or change it..

az su4007  there are several different priced ones there..

with your digital volt meter and some male terminals to probe carefully into the connector..  

with the key on.. engine off..

connector disconnected.. 5.0 volts exactly.

4.7 volts @ 0c  32F

2.0 volts @ 40C  / 104F

0.7 volts @ 80C  /  176F

0.45 volts @ 90C   / 194F

0.2 volts @ 100C   212F

if you can reach it..  it will be easy to test..

you might want to verify the map sensor hose is intact.. not mushy.. not collapsed when the engine is running..

oh.. find the ground wires coming out of the fuel injection harness.. take them off where they are attached and wire brush the ring terminals.. wire brush the mounting area and the underside of the fastener..

then run the voltage drop test with the engine running and the headlights on.. takes less than a minute..

1.  Neg battery to positive battery .. POSTS.. Not terminals..  14.1 to 14.8 is expected..

2. Neg battery post to the engine block.   0.04 volts DC max.

3. Neg battery post to the body.  0.02 volts DC MAX..

4.  Engine block to the Body. 0.02 volts DC MAX..

if you find more than 4/100ths of a volt or 2/100ths of a volt on the last 3 tests.. you will have found a bad ground connection and probably your issue..

please run the voltage drop test.. its only a minute..

rooster

You may have interest in this! Don't know if it will work on a 92 though.

junkyardjeff

Changed coolant sensor when I changed the thermostat and still the same,vacumn lines to map sensor look and feel good and I cleaned the grounds. Have not done the voltage test yet.