I've got a new A/C compressor, now what?

Started by 48builder, September 02, 2004, 12:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

I got a new A/C compressor for my '39 (thanks to whoever told me an '86 Jeep would do the trick). It is a reman unit, and it says it was shipped without oil. I know there is a difference between R12 and R134. I want to use R134 in my system.

I don't know how to add the oil it needs, now where to get it, etc.

Can anybody help me with this part?
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

enjenjo

It depends on what you are doing. If you are converting a R12 system, use Ester oil, I think 110, or if it is a new system, or has always been R134, use PAG oil. I think 2 to 3 oz. should be enough.

You can remove the plug in the side of compressor, and pour it in there, or buy an oil charge, and charge it into the hoses.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

48builder

Quote from: "enjenjo"It depends on what you are doing. If you are converting a R12 system, use Ester oil, I think 110, or if it is a new system, or has always been R134, use PAG oil. I think 2 to 3 oz. should be enough.

You can remove the plug in the side of compressor, and pour it in there, or buy an oil charge, and charge it into the hoses.

Do parts stores carry it? BTW I am converting an R12 system
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

enjenjo

Yes they do, at least the local NAPA does.

SKR8PN

Since you are doing a conversion,be sure you flush all the hoses,condensor and the evaporator out,so you remove all the old oil. The 2 oils are not compatable with each other. Also be sure you change the receiver/drier as well.
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

enjenjo

Ester oil is actually compatible with mineral oil, and is a better choice on a conversion. Jim is correct on changing the drier, regardless of what oil you use, particularly with a compressor failure, same goes for the flush. you should also check the hoses, make sure they are barrier hose, Goodyear Galaxy is one common brand, otherwise your refrigerant may leak right through the hoses.

48builder

Quote from: "enjenjo"Ester oil is actually compatible with mineral oil, and is a better choice on a conversion. Jim is correct on changing the drier, regardless of what oil you use, particularly with a compressor failure, same goes for the flush. you should also check the hoses, make sure they are barrier hose, Goodyear Galaxy is one common brand, otherwise your refrigerant may leak right through the hoses.

put everything togetehr and take it to my local A/C shop to flush everything and charge it up. Thanks for the info!
'39 Chevy driver