fixing the unfixable

Started by enjenjo, December 06, 2013, 07:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

On this Mustang, I am working on the quarter windows right now. On the right quarter window of the body we are using, the chrome on the frame was good enough to use, but the glass had been hit with a sandblaster. Changing the glass to that from the other car was no problem, but one of the rollers that guide the window up and down was damaged.  The frame from the other car had really nasty chrome, but a good roller.

The rollers are held in place by a stepped rivet, and the rivets and rollers are not service parts, you have to buy the whole frame for $345. So what I did was drill the end of the rivet with a no. 21 drill, 3/4" deep, and then tap it for a 10-32 screw.  I then drilled the riveted end of the rivets in both frames. I punched them out with a 1/4" punch. After cleaning up the end, I pressed it into the other frame with a clamp, and installed a 10-32 by 1/2" button head screw, with some thread locker on it, and it's as good as new.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

"Fixing the unfixable" ...

Isn't that the difference between a "mechanic"  and a "technician"   :?:

Good thinkin' Frank..  :idea:   That's prolly why you got the job ...The customer wanted it "right" ..... );b(

Bob ..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

phat46

Genius, and so common sensed that many, like me, wouldn't have thought of it!

jaybee

Great way to save a significant amount of money that would be spent to no good end.

When I had my '69 Cougar I rebuilt the HVAC control panel. inside it has pinholes that line up with channels as you slide the lever back and forth in order to change the settings. The pinholes were blocked and it wouldn't operate the air doors.

I worked the edges of the shaft/rivet back to get the pieces apart, cleared the blockage, rolled the edges back down as well as possible, and secured it with epoxy.

That was before Ebay, Mustang parts weren't practically falling out of trees at the time, even to the extent they were I was short on funds, and in any case there was no chance of getting a replacement across a Thanksgiving weekend when I had to travel afterward.

It was a real shade tree approach, but it worked perfectly for another 95,000 miles.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

butch27

Ain't it great to be a hot rodder?

oj

Good thinking, necessity being the mother of invention and all.

I'll take that hammer if you're done with it!

Crosley.In.AZ

always interesting on how folks look at something.. one person looks at an item , cant figure out a fix

next person looks and suggests : do this , this and yur done.

Decades ago , a few local guys started Flowtech Headers. One felow was a good friend.  He took me on tours of the shop as the place came together. They had a fabrication guy there that built most of the tools and fixtures for the header production.  He had such a simple method to design and build of the equipment  , it was amazing.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

purplepickup

It doesn't seem like unfixable is a word you use very often.  Most things appear to be fixable in your world Frank.  Keep it up and we might let you stick around. :lol:
George

wayne petty

that's cool...

i usually fix worn out window regulator cranks by transplanting the good parts from rear doors of a similar model or the quarter glass of a similar model..  being VERY VERY careful to release the spring tension first.. and then noting the curl of the spring.. so i can put it back on correctly..

enjenjo

I got the other side fixed monday, same deal, but it went faster. Now I have to figure out how to get the adhesive off the roof rails so I can put them back in.

wayne petty

erase your adhesive residue??

slocrow

Frank, any problem with the rivet spinning while you were drilling out or threading? If so, how do you stop that action?
Thanks, Slo
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

jaybee

Here's another that doesn't rise to Frank's level but it served me well.

I once had a Ford with 2 barrel Autolite/Motorcraft carb that suddenly refused open the choke. The choke heat tube had rotted off at the exhaust manifold as they had a tendency to do. A quick sort through my junk drawer found that the closure link of a ball chain could be persuaded to be just the right size to wedge down into the manifold, with the heat tube setting down over the top of it.

It worked well enough that I completely forgot about it until the next time I pulled the carb. The heat tube came loose in my hand, so I just put it back when I remounted the carb. It never needed anything further.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

Quote from: "slocrow"Frank, any problem with the rivet spinning while you were drilling out or threading? If so, how do you stop that action?
Thanks, Slo

No, it fit pretty tight, and I was gentle with it.  I tightened it with my little DeWalt 1/4" electric impact driver.

Digger

The shifter cable in my suburban had worn through the housing under the carpet and the selector would not work due to the cable just moving in and out of the housing. being kind of lazy it looked like a lot of work and expense. I took about a 14X6 piece of sheet metal, put a half inch bead in it, packed the bead with grease, put it over the housing and riveted it to the floor. it worked perfect and still does 3 or 4 years later. 250k mi on the old girl now.
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger