I'm not old enough (?) and I wasn't here when

Started by GPster, November 27, 2013, 06:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

I've been watching for this and it comes just in time for "What's dad want for Christmas". Rodder's Journal has added a couple more "Coffee Table" books to their list and one is "Middletown Pacemakers". It's supposed to be a collection of photos of an Ohio based Hot Rod club that existed back in the '50s. There is no argument that lot happened in California but it will be a nice change to see examples from somewhere else. I read about this book a while ago and it's mostly a collection of photos that has been reproduced and arranged by a publisher back east. Living in a historic community I see this type of thing all the time and they're not history books but they're usually well done and entertaining. GPster

oj

Anything TRJ does is finest quality, you can't go wrong getting one of them for Christmas.  Esp if you see an old buddy or a car you'd forgotten about.

junkyardjeff

The club still exists,I ride up to the Detroit autorama and eat dinner there with a few of the members,do not know anything about the club but they are still around.

papastoyss

At the age of most of us Pacemaker could have a whole new meaning!!!
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

GPster

Quote from: "papastoyss"At the age of most of us Pacemaker could have a whole new meaning!!!
That thought passed my mind, I think!  GPster

GPster

Well, I didn't even get to ask for it for Christmas!. I mentioned it to my wife while I was typing (hunt and peck) my last response. She was sitting on the couch with her lap-top and before I could find where Middletown was she had ordered it from Amazon. It was a dollar cheaper from them than it was fro Rodder's Journal and shipping was free so that saved me $6.00 shipping and handling. It came today ( but not by drone ). Not as many pictures as I thought but quite a bit of history. They seemed to be busy in drag racing in the early '60s and the first look seems to show them splitting up about '64 but the history of some individual members continues. I probably won't get to read much other than the captions under the pictures because ordering new glasses is on my list of "To Does" GPster

Carps

It's a great bookpublished by Arcadia Publishing of Charleston, South Carolina and other places in the US.

It's one of a series pof great books under the banner of 'IMAGES OF AMERICA.  Other titles in that series include, Cruisin The Original Woodward Avenue (gret pics and few words).  Forgotten Detroit, lots of pics of Detroit in it's heyday.  Detroit area Test Tracks, which is one of my favourites and there's many more.

Another series in the same format is IMAGES OF MOTORING, with titles covering all of the manufacturers, or at least that's how it seems.

One of the things that makes these books special is that most of the photographs have never been published anywhere else and they are excellent quality, intersting books at a good price.  

I strongly reccommend them all.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.