302 help

Started by 416Ford, October 22, 2013, 08:50:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

416Ford

My car started to get a ticking sound this year and as the summer went on it got pretty load. Pulled the valve cover off back in September and found were the noise was coming from. I have a 68 302 with 77 302 heads with the pressed in studs.
My rockers have the rounded washers and the nuts are torqued down.
Been looking for a pair of GT40 heads but did not know if I need to worry about the rockers on heads....
Found this engine for sale locally(351W not sure of year yet) and may pick it up and take the heads and rockers off for my engine.
Can I do this or do I need to keep my rockers?

Thanks
Dave

You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

416Ford

Just received two more pictures.

You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

Harry

I may be wrong...but I don't think your intake manifold will work on the 351 heads. The 351 block is different from a 302.

416Ford

Quote from: "Harry"I may be wrong...but I don't think your intake manifold will work on the 351 heads. The 351 block is different from a 302.

This is why I ask these question.

Everyone keeps telling me to get a set of GT 40 heads and add 40HP. Now I am confused again....

unklian

The bigger motor, has a taller deck height, to accept the
longer stroke. So the manifold needs to be wider.

On the other hand, more displacement IS better.

sirstude

I think the heads will interchange, but there might be a difference in head studs.  Ford had several on those small motors.  The 351 block is bigger and would need a different manifold if you wanted to use it.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

416Ford

Quote from: "sirstude"I think the heads will interchange, but there might be a difference in head studs.  Ford had several on those small motors.  The 351 block is bigger and would need a different manifold if you wanted to use it.

Doug

This is the same thing someone else said. I am assuming then that the Heads are the same head on different blocks and I would need to purchase the bolts listed below.

ARP 260 / 289 / 302 7/16 hex head bolt with stepped washers for head that had 1/2 bolts like 351w. Part# 154-3605 $109.99

jaybee

351W heads will work on a 302, but as someone said the deck height is higher on the 351 so it requires a different intake. The Windsor heads use a bigger head bolt so either the 302 block has to be drilled for bigger bolts or there are bushings that go around the 302 head bolts to keep the heads correctly positioned on the block.

Cleveland heads can be adapted but there are a number of things that have to be done including drilling a steam port in just the right place plus a special intake...that's basically the top end of a Boss 302.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

416Ford

The engine in the pictures is available for $500 locally and all I need is the heads off the engine. Roller rockers are a bonus. I can buy the bolts needed I believe from ARP. I just wanted to make sure I was not getting into a bunch of other problems doing it this way rather then just buying a set of GT40 heads from a salvage yard and paying to have them checked and resurfaced.

I want to use my intake and sell the Windsor block. Engine is listed as rebuilt and not run. I will need to go and see it to verify that.

chimp koose

The heads are a bolt on deal with the stepped washers mentioned earlier.68 302 and 77 351W used different length pushrods as did 302s after about 72,as I recall. I think by .100 longer for the newer engine. I would check pushrod length before running it.Also the 351W will have larger combustion chambers than the early 302 head that could lower your compression substantially.I did this swap on a 289 back in the early 80s using the 69/70 351W heads that had slightly larger chambers.Using a steel shim head gasket ( I used to use Rocket #1119, .020")will gain some CR back. The exhaust ports are the same as the 302 but with a .090" larger valve, 1.45 VS 1.54.I think you need to use the 351 intake gaskets , the coolant passages were slightly different.The swap is worth some power IF you maintain the compression ratio which might be difficult with smog era combustion chambers.The limit with those heads is a weak flowing exhaust port just like the 302.This was the way to make power in the 70s and early 80s before the resurgence in popularity of the 302 in GT mustangs, but using the earlier small chamber castings.

chimp koose

I did not read your post very well . you have 77 302 heads on NOW.Take a small mirror when you go to look at the engine. The date code will be cast into the underside of one of the intake ports.69/70 were the smallest and 71/72 were the next smallest.Anything after that was getting too large to make any good compression .

416Ford

Bummed out.
Told the guy I would come out Wednesday and he said OK. Emailed him to arrange a time yesterday and he said " It sold last night".
Would have been nice to at least get a call. He had my number and we spoke on Monday.

phat rat

Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

416Ford

Quote from: "phat rat"Dave, have you seen this ad?

http://holland.craigslist.org/pts/4139858386.html

I did see that one Jack. I can not use P heads on my engine with my headers.