Bear claw latches install on 51 Ford pickup?

Started by kb426, October 15, 2013, 07:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I want to install bear claw latches on the 51 Ford pickup. Does anyone know of a locking door handle to use so I can have a locking feature? I remember some door handles that when locked, you couldn't operate them but I can't remember what they were or if they might be adaptable.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

My 65 ford 1/2 ton has inside door handles that you push down to lock when closing.Is that what you are after?

kb426

I need something from the outside. I have locking handles on the 32 that I believe are from a 34. I need something along that line that a key will access from the outside. The original door lock will be really difficult to use with any of the bear claws that i have seen. The more common version is electric with door poppers. I don't want a shaved door at this point.
TEAM SMART

Carnut

How about a locking trunk handle like this 41-48 ford? Buy two and get locks reset to same key.

kb426

That's a possible, George. I'll call and get some dimensions to see how much work this will take. Thank you.
TEAM SMART

Carnut

Just was visiting with my friend T-Vicky and noticed his 40 Olds and his 40 Chevy have locking door handles on the passenger side.

Then I looked on ebay and found a lot of locking door handles for several vintage cars.

Here's a Chevy set:

34ford

http://www.outlawrods.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=113/prd113.htm

check out these  

1932-34 Ford outside door handles - 32 3 window coupe & cabriolet 33/34 Ford 3 window coupe (closed cars) excludes 5 window

Includes locks and keys  (right/left handles) - 4" x 5/16" square shafts

32 Ford 3 window coupe & cabriolet 33/34 Ford 3 window coupe (closed cars) excludes 5 window

Same and as above - without locks - 4" x 5/16" square shafts

jaybee

My neighbor has been hanging onto a '75 Bonneville for her Grandson. Truck came for it today so I got it started and the battery charged back up again, then drove it over to meet the trucker. He had a very sweet barn fresh '34 Studebaker already on the trailer. Very cool car and it's going to make an awesome project whether it's to be restored or rodded.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)