Cleaning a aluminum trim piece

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, August 31, 2004, 11:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

The photo shows it all.

What are the current methods to clean this part up??

:arrow:  Make it look mostly like new?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

47convert

It appears to be annodized. If so you'll need to remove the annodizing and polish the part, ideally it should be re-annodized when the polishing is complete. It's a messy, job that takes time but can be very worthwhile doing at home. Some type of spray-on oven cleaner (EZ Off) applied liberally will remove the anodize. I put the part in a sealed plastic bag with a bit of water in it to slow down the drying time -(you don't want it to dry) The stuff will form a white gooy mess and a crusty white mess if it dries. Wash it off, sand it with some 2000 paper until you know it's smooth and there's no hard shiny anodized spots left and polish it using progressively finer compounds being careful to not let the wheel rip the part out of your hands which can ruin both the part and your hands, BTW. Then, if you don't get the anodizing redone you can figure on repolishing every year or so depending on conditions

SKR8PN

I just took,every piece of chrome,stainless,and aluminum,from a 1967 R/T, up Jon Wright,at Custom Chrome Plating. He had a couple of different ideas.  Just like 47convert said, first is to strip off the anodizing,polish it and leave it bare. That is kinda high maintenance. Second is to do step one,then have it re-anodized. Be sure the people doing the anodizing know what they are doing. Third option,is to have it chrome plated after you polish it..........If you aren't doing a concours correct restoration,that might be the "prettiest" option!
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Bruce Dorsi

Tony, I agree with what Jim and Mike said.

I just want to mention that there are "aluminum brighteners" on the market.  .....These are used on aluminum truck bodies and aluminum window frames, etc, but I don't think they will work unless the clear anodizing is removed.

I believe they are acid-based, and they will leave more of a satin finish than a polished finish.  .....I have used a dilute solution of hydroflouric acid (NASTY stuff!!) to clean aluminum, and it works well, but I think it would dull a polished surface.

What is my point?  .....Best summed up by saying:

"Be careful what you put your thingy in!"   :lol:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Leon

Once it is polished a clear powdercoat works.  We did that on an old Mercedes and it looked nice.