T5

Started by Inprimer, July 10, 2013, 07:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inprimer

Installed a S 10, T5 tranny in my '52 F 1 PU,(stock FH), it has a Speedway adaptor, new clutch, T/O bearing, new 10.5 in P/P all from Speedway The clutch has been adjusted, the motor has NOT been recently fired but it runs fine, now now no matter what gear I put it in, the driveshafts spins (not connected to the rear) at first I thought the clutch was  slipping but it seems like its always in neutral no matter what gear its in
I took the gear shifter out and inserted a 3/8 in drive ratchet and "moved" the position going thru the gears and nothing any thoughts??
:?:  :?:  :?:

wayne petty

are there any access holes in the bell housing where you can see where the flywheel and clutch cover are... if so,

rotate the crank/flywheel till you can see the clutch disc  under the clutch cover...

reach in and see if it is gripped tight by the clamping force of the clutch cover???

or have somebody operate the clutch pedal down and up while you examine the pressure exerted on the clutch disc...

if the clutch pressure plate under the cover is actually squeezing the disc flat.. and then fully releasing it..

there are bent pads between the clutch linings.. that compress.. and decompress to prevent the engagement from being instant..  you can.. with the engine off actually see the linings being squeezed..  ||| compressed.   | \ | released

could the clutch throw out bearing be holding the fingers in ???

there are some clutches that are designed for stepped flywheels..

when you installed the clutch cover over the disc.. did the 6 hold down screws  need to be tightened to bring the cover down to the flywheel surface..  there is usually 1/8 to 3/16" or so of clearance before the bolts are tightened down.

enjenjo

My first thought is you have the wrong clutch disc. Speedway shows one for a flathead trans that has a 1 3/8" spline that would let the T5 mainshaft turn without engaging. You do have the throwout sleeve and pilot bearing adapter installed?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Inprimer

Wayne, here is no visible access between the F1 bellhousing  the Spway adapter and the T5  trans
The clutch, P/P and T/o bearings are all new,what is weird when I installed the clutch( with a 14 spine plastic install tool) the 3 fingers went in?? the bolts around the P/P were torqued down and red lock tightened.the bolts that actuate the P/P were left alone I was able to put press on each finger individually and all seemed well (with a small crowbar)  The T/O bearing has a new sleeve as per instructions. this is the 5th time I R&R the trans and it's getting tiresome to say the least. I am sure the P/P is installed correctly, after some adj I know the shaft and fork are pushing into the T/O bearing and the P/P are dis engaging from the flywheel , next step is a tow to a guy with way more knowledge than me. I have a ton of new stuff in this truck and even though I don't give up easily, I'm wasting precious time  fighting this thing. Thanks will let you know the outcome :D

Inprimer

enjenjo, the flywheel was redrilled at machine shop, redrilled for a 10.5 P/P and a 10.5 in clutch, again all new stuff from speedway, also new  pilot bearing.

enjenjo

Speedway lists four different clutch discs in 10.5" Three of them fit T5 in either 1" by 14 spline, 1 1/8" by 10 spline, or 1 1/8" by 26 spline. The other one fits the old style toploader three speed and has  a 1 3/8" by 10 spline. If you have the 1" by 14 spline input it will fit together with at least three of the 4 discs, but will only work with one of them. All four fit the same pressure plate.

Unless there are major parts missing from the transmission, it can't be an internal problem in the trans to loose all gears. Even if the cluster gear was missing completely, you would still have 5th gear

wayne petty

do you know what year and model the T5 transmission came out of???

how about a part number for the clutch kit or disc from speedway...

this way one or the other of us will reverse look up the spline sizes..

and.. frank.  how did you know that i have a W/C T5 that the cluster is sitting in the bottom of the case.. and only 4th gear works.. i have been wanting to tear it down for years.. just never got around to it..  its out of a turbo coupe..

enjenjo

Quote from: "wayne petty"do you know what year and model the T5 transmission came out of???

how about a part number for the clutch kit or disc from speedway...

this way one or the other of us will reverse look up the spline sizes..

and.. frank.  how did you know that i have a W/C T5 that the cluster is sitting in the bottom of the case.. and only 4th gear works.. i have been wanting to tear it down for years.. just never got around to it..  its out of a turbo coupe..

Thanks for the correction, 4th gear will work. I have been into more than a few of them.  Usual problems, reverse gear on the cluster, second gear synchronizer, and gear wear from the wrong lube.

Inprimer

Quote from: InprimerInstalled a S 10, T5 tranny in my '52 F 1 PU,(stock FH), it has a Speedway adaptor, new clutch, T/O bearing, new 10.5 in P/P all from Speedway The clutch has been adjusted, the motor has NOT been recently fired but it runs fine, now now no matter what gear I put it in, the driveshafts spins (not connected to the rear) at first I thought the clutch was  slipping but it seems like its always in neutral no matter what gear its in
I took the gear shifter out and inserted a 3/8 in drive ratchet and "moved" the position going thru the gears and nothing any thoughts??
After yankin the few strands left on my head......turned the problem over  a gearhead mech... To the best of my recollection Speedway states that an 11 in clutch and PP will not fit with their adapter, as MY recollection  I used a 10.5 in P/P and clutch again  as stated at the time( last yr)no can do, after further investigation a (new  footnote states that a 9" clutch& P/P must be used  somewhere in the bowles) problem solved,  but not to tear too much in the Speedway thread I swear by my numbers, /I.E. 10.5 clutch P/P must be used, needless to say I  ended up with about $150 or so with wall art.The 9" issue showed up way after I bought the 10.5 P/P and clutch
I wish I should have done more research, lesson learned. On the bright side, my Flattie runs like hellsapopping and the T5 is a blast to drive can chirp wheels in 2nd gear and after all the "drama" mostly of my own accord, I'm one happy old man with a toothy grin.... thanks for listening IP