Shortening Cavalier inner tie rod ends

Started by 348tripower, May 03, 2014, 03:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

I need to shorten mine on the wagon. I am 1" to narrow on the toe and no more adjustment. What would be the best way of doing this?
Don
Don Colliau

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

348tripower

Quote from: "enjenjo"Tie rod ends, or tie rods?

Tie rods.
Don Colliau

348tripower

Ok
I am bringing this up again. I only need to shorten one and only about an inch. It is the inner tie rod.
Don Colliau

enjenjo

If it's big enough to cut threads, just cut the threads down further, and cut the end off.

348tripower

Quote from: "enjenjo"If it's big enough to cut threads, just cut the threads down further, and cut the end off.

Can't do that. It has internal threads. I thought about cutting an inch out and tig welding it back together. Maybe adding a sleeve?
Don Colliau

unklian

What if you drilled and tapped the hole deeper ?

Or shorten the tie rod adjuster ?

Charlie Chops 1940

Don,

Is the piece a solid bar where you would cut it? If that were the case I would cut and vee both ends for weld. I would then drill a piece of bar stock an inch or so long for the sleeve. An 1/8" wall should be more than adequate. Slide the sleeve on and and have at the splice weld, then dress the splice and slide the sleeve over and weld it. Can't imagine it would ever come apart. If the rod is tubular I would want to fashion a piece to go inside.

Your results may vary....
l
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

If you don't want to do it Charlie's way. you could cut off the internal threaded end, cut external threads on what is left, and make an internally threaded sleeve to replace the end you cut off, that would be an inch shorter.

348tripower

We cut it and tig welded it back together. I hit the snot out of it with the BFH and nothing fell apart :shock:
Don Colliau