Previous topic - Next topic

50 F1

Does the coil need to be mounted straight up and down or can it be
mounted on a angle say 45 degrees?
Old style coil 68 SBC

Thanks
Mike

58 Yeoman

Should be able to mount it in any position.  VW Beetles were mounted upside down.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

It depends. Epoxy filled coils, any position, Oil filled coils upright.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

ragdol

Back in the day were the coils epoxy filled? MoPar mounted them horizontally in the firewall. Seemed to work. Just wondering.

enjenjo

Quote from: "ragdol"Back in the day were the coils epoxy filled? MoPar mounted them horizontally in the firewall. Seemed to work. Just wondering.

In those days they were filled with pitch.

58 Yeoman

Still learning something new every day...
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

50 F1

I am using MSD Blaster 2. Are they oil or epoxy filled.

This project has been in the works for years and the last new coil I bought sat in a box sideway or maybe even upside down and the termial end cracked real bad. I think it was oil filled.

Thanks for the info
Mike

enjenjo

Quote from: "50 F1"I am using MSD Blaster 2. Are they oil or epoxy filled.

This project has been in the works for years and the last new coil I bought sat in a box sideway or maybe even upside down and the termial end cracked real bad. I think it was oil filled.

Thanks for the info
Mike

The Blaster 2 is oil filled. Oil filled coils generally cool better and don't change resistance as much. But laid on their side or upside down, they can form an air pocket on the windings that can cause a local hot spot that can lead to failure. In extreme conditions, they can explode, causing a fire.

Epoxy filled coils don't cool as well, but have lower resistance, creating less heat. They can be mounted in any position.