Coolant Recovery Tank

Started by 50 F1, August 03, 2013, 08:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

50 F1

I am getting ready to put one of those round tube type coolant recovery tanks on my P/U and I was wondering if there was a correct height to put it at.  Does the top of the tube inside that is the over flow have to be level with the top of the radiator or does it matter?

I can go lower but not really higher

SBC

Thanks Mike

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "50 F1"I am getting ready to put one of those round tube type coolant recovery tanks on my P/U and I was wondering if there was a correct height to put it at.  Does the top of the tube inside that is the over flow have to be level with the top of the radiator or does it matter?

I can go lower but not really higher

SBC

Thanks Mike

I don't know if this will be of much help but I will throw it out there ...

On both my Ugly Olds  & my Kidd's '37 Dodge ..  (Both cars have HUGE front fenders) , I use regular coolant recovery bottles from mid 70's cars mounted under the fender about 2/3 of the way down the radiator core level... Aside from being somewhat hard to put coolant in ,both seem to work fine .. I have found that it's also a neat place to hide batteries ... :idea:

Bob....
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

39deluxe

No it doesn't matter. The cap controls the flow of the coolant out of and draw back into the radiator. Just be sure to use a cap for a closed system. I put one of those round tube tanks on my truck. I used the biggest one I could fit in the space for extra capacity. Not sure if that was necessary but it couldn't hurt.

Tom