TPI fuel pressure regulator

Started by 348tripower, July 26, 2013, 05:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

I have a problem with the COE. I put a new fuel pump in it because the old one failed. I also found it it was too high pressure for the system. After this change the engine idles better but not perfect. If I unhook the vacuum line to the regulator and hook it back up it settles down nicely. No fuel leaking out. Is this thing sticking?
Don
Don Colliau

348tripower

one other thing could the tps be out of adjustment causing this ? Idle too high?
Don Colliau

wayne petty

if you don't have a fuel injection pressure tester.. this one looks like it might work..

http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-injection-pump-tester-92699.html

be sure to check the end of the gauge hose.. to see if it has a valve core depressor in the middle of the seal or it won't work ..

only way to really know if the fuel pressure regulator is sticking is to check the pressure..  38 or 39 psi with the vacuum to the fuel pressure regulator disconnected..

some people have increased the fuel pressure.. a few pounds in attempts to increase injector flow...

look at the injection pulse width as it returns to idle.. should drop to 1.2 to 1.4 Ms  

there are several adjustable fuel pressure regulators available...

http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/fuel-pressure-regulators/make/chevrolet/engine-size/5-7l-350/model/corvette/year/1987/pressure-range-psi/35-70

one warning...  if you did not reseal the fuel rails.  

new fuel rail seals and fuel injector seals..  this is a good time to perform this..    please.. use some lube on the fuel rail seals... the replacements should be a reddish color indicating they are the proper material for the fuel rail seals.. not just black plumbing orings that will leak..

and yes its a pain... to reseal the injector rail as its even bolted down out behind the alternator and under the smog pump or ac compressor..

the fuel rail seals are also the proper size for the factory flex hose connections for the fuel system...

just ideas....

348tripower

INTAKE LEAK :cry:  I don't know what I am missing here. Aluminum heads aluminum intake. Second time its bee off.
Don Colliau

wayne petty

Quote from: "348tripower"INTAKE LEAK :cry:  I don't know what I am missing here. Aluminum heads aluminum intake. Second time its bee off.

where is the leak??? between the manifold base and the cylinder heads...

got any hylomar??  i have spread it on head gaskets and on intake gaskets for almost 20 years..

i use it on intake gaskets where there is a lot of expansion issues..

napa sells it..  permatex sells it..  hylomar sells it online..

348tripower

Wayne,
Intake to head leak. Just reset it with the Hylomar. I am gonna let it set all night and re torque. Finish tomorrow morning.
Thanks,
Don
Don Colliau

wayne petty

no need to wait... hylomar never dries hard..

just stays sticky and will not move..

348tripower

Quote from: "wayne petty"no need to wait... hylomar never dries hard..

just stays sticky and will not move..

Cool. I was tired so I stopped for the day. Bud Light was involved too. :)
Don Colliau