HVLP info please

Started by Beck, June 21, 2013, 11:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

Years ago we discussed the HF spray guns here. The item numbers have all changed. Do any of the new ones compare to the old ones?

I am also looking for a touch up gun. It appears the HF 46719 is still a good part number. I don't know if it is on the store shelves. Hopefully the gun hasn't changed. Back in 2005 Purplepickup posted that he used and liked it.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "Beck"Years ago we discussed the HF spray guns here. The item numbers have all changed. Do any of the new ones compare to the old ones?

I am also looking for a touch up gun. It appears the HF 46719 is still a good part number. I don't know if it is on the store shelves. Hopefully the gun hasn't changed. Back in 2005 Purplepickup posted that he used and liked it.

I bought a $15 or $20 gravity feed HVLP from there in 2010 or 2011. The finish washed off with thinner during cleanup, the air cap and fluid nozzle were poorly machined, giving a curved pattern heavy at one end. The screw-on cap fit so poorly as to be unusable. I used a SATA press-in lid instead. I still have it, use it to spray degreaser sometimes but pure solvents leak out the cup seal. It has odd threads so you can't just screw any old cup on there. Pure junk, find a sale on something of quality and do a better job. Or buy five from HF and pick the best one for the same dough! It IS tempting to use an HF casting and load it with name brand guts but I think its all threaded in a way that prevents that.

Matt

parklane

I bought a HF gravity feed about 7-8 years ago, and it seems to do a decent job for my work trucks. Paint goes on smooth, and get a nice shine. Good enough for me.
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

Beck

I have one of the old HF 38308 guns that worked well and have a spare 43430 that replaced it. For the money these were good. I sprayed a PPG "Best use of color" award winner with mine. The new part numbers are not the same. I guess the quality left along with the part numbers.
My father is in need of a touch up gun which lead me to the original post. He is a model airplane guy and just trashed his old Badger 400. I planned to make it by HF today to see what was there (46719 ??), but just didn't make it.
Sumner has "tuning tips" for the old full size HF guns on his site. http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/HVLPspraygun.html

Beck

Quote from: "Beck"I have one of the old HF 38308 guns that worked well and have a spare 43430 that replaced it. For the money these were good. I sprayed a PPG "Best use of color" award winner with mine. The new part numbers are not the same. I guess the quality left along with the part numbers.
My father is in need of a touch up gun which lead me to the original post. He is a model airplane guy and just trashed his old Badger 400. I planned to make it by HF today to see what was there (46719 ??), but just didn't make it.
Sumner has "tuning tips" for the old full size HF guns on his site. http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/HVLPspraygun.html
HF still has that touch up gun. I don't know if it is just the same number on a junk gun or it is the same one that some here liked years ago. I bought a pair of them, not on sale @ $34 ea. I checked the numbers of the big HVLP guns. The sales counter said those numbers were no longer available.