Bubble flare question

Started by Stevie G, August 22, 2004, 05:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevie G

Tried using search and came up with NOTHING.
I just put 96 Camaro discs on an S-10 rear and have a question about the brake lines.
The end on the hose doesn't look like a typical inverted flare.
Do these use a Bubble flare?
Can you do these using a double flare tool?
Just don't compress it all the way?
Do you like monsters?  Get a Swamp Thing T-Shirt

enjenjo

You need a bubble flaring tool. Snap on has them, hold on to your shorts.

There is another issue here too, bubble flared tubing is actually metric, so standard Bundyflex tubing is a bit too small, it can be used, but you have to wrap masking tape around it to keep it from slipping in the flaring tool.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Stevie G

Quote from: "enjenjo"You need a bubble flaring tool. Snap on has them, hold on to your shorts.

There is another issue here too, bubble flared tubing is actually metric, so standard Bundyflex tubing is a bit too small, it can be used, but you have to wrap masking tape around it to keep it from slipping in the flaring tool.

Hmm...So the fittings would be Metric?
The fittings on the S-10 lines thread into the fitting on the hose, there just isn't the little cone in there for the inverted flare.  Leaves me scratching my head.

Thanks....and good luck with the wagon.

enjenjo

The fittings are different, standard flare fitiings won't seal.

Stevie G

Quote from: "enjenjo"The fittings are different, standard flare fitiings won't seal.
Let me rephrase that.....
Are the fittings on the metric lines metric thread?
I realize the standard flare won't work (that's why I'm posting)
A standard 3/16 line will thread in.

Now.......where was I?

Will the inverted flare fitting work if I put a bubble flare on the new line?
OR....are the fittings different?

It's almost too simple.
I just don't want problems down the road.

enjenjo

QuoteWill the inverted flare fitting work if I put a bubble flare on the new line?

The threads are the same, the fitting is different. The standard flare fitting will bottom out before making a seal with a bubble flare.

Stevie G

Quote from: "enjenjo"
QuoteWill the inverted flare fitting work if I put a bubble flare on the new line?

The threads are the same, the fitting is different. The standard flare fitting will bottom out before making a seal with a bubble flare.

THANK YOU!!

Time to hit the parts store.

47convert

I put Jag brakes on my T Bucket back in the early 70s by using a pre=flared line and cut it to length using a standard double flare on one end. Worked great then - should work now without having to buy an expensive tool that would probably never be used again.

Stevie G

Quote from: "47convert"I put Jag brakes on my T Bucket back in the early 70s by using a pre=flared line and cut it to length using a standard double flare on one end. Worked great then - should work now without having to buy an expensive tool that would probably never be used again.

That's what I was thinking.
That way I can use the T fitting that's back there already.
I just have to take the time to see what they have in the rack at the parts house.