Caliper replacement

Started by 40_Tudor, January 29, 2015, 12:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

40_Tudor

I have Wilwood caliper and ~11 in rotors on the front of mu 40 Tudor with MII suspension. The ones on there now look like Wilwood no. 120-5343  calipers. The brake line comes out at the bottom and if I turn the wheel to far the brake line fitting hits the strut rod. Turn to far and it shears the fitting off.
I contacted Wilwood and they have a set, GM D52 Dual Piston Caliper no. 120-10936, with the brake line fitting comes out the center of the caliper body on the rear. Plenty of clearance then, but.... they are about $178 Wilwood or $164 Summit dollars each, ouch.
Any one know of a GM caliper with the fitting that would clear the strut that didn't cost an arm and a leg each?

enjenjo

If you can take a picture of the caliper, where the brake line connects, I might have a solution to use what you have. I am assuming that the fitting comes straight out of the caliper. If there is enough area around the threads, you can retap for a 10mm banjo bolt, and use a banjo fitting to route the line  to the back of the caliper. The spec sheet say it has 1/8" 27 pipe threads for the brake line and 10mm 1.0 threads are pretty close, but not tapered.

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

40_Tudor

The fitting is a 1/8 pipe already although its a straight fitting. I tried a 90deg but it doesn't clear any better.
Talked to one of the Wilwood guys at Good-Guys PPG last year and he said you might be able to drill and tap the body on the back about in the center of the piston but I don't think there's enough meat in the casting for that. The replacement has a boss casted into it in about the same location.
I've attached a picture of what I have on it now. There's a port at the top and one at the same location on the opposite side for bleeder and brake line. Depending which side you use it on.
Bought this setup off of a friend, rotor, calipers, brackets.
Wilwood guy said its for off road use. Stops fine just remember not to turn too far.