Argon Bottle Question

Started by 39deluxe, May 09, 2013, 01:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

39deluxe

Since I've had my Lincoln 175HD mig (240 volt) for almost 4 years now I thought it was time to get it up and running. I have some bodywork and exhaust on the stepside to do this summer plus the Cavalier has a patch panel that needs to be installed.

So what is the best way to go? Just go to the welding supply and get  (rent?) a tank or buy my own tank and have them fill it. Harbor Freight had a stack of them the last time I was in there. I can't remember the price.

Even though I haul liquid argon at about 4000 gallons at a time I have no way of filling my own tank. We aren't in the bottle gas business.

Tom

enjenjo

I use Mig mix, which is 80/20 CO2/argon, much cheaper. you can rent if you use a lot of gas, cheaper to buy if you don't use much.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

unklian

Ask your gas supplier if they will fill HF bottles, before you buy.

phat rat

The last I knew the suppliers around here would only fill their own bottles
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Glen

I have four large bottles....I always buy them.  You can buy a smaller bottle if you don't do a lot of welding, you just have to fill it more often.  Mig doesn't go thru gas near as quick as Tig so a smaller bottle should be fine.

When I go in to get it filled they just swap the bottle, that keeps me up to date on certification because its their responsibility.

39deluxe

Thanks for the replies. I don't expect to use a lot over time, just in spurts as I get the time to do things. I understand what you are saying about the certifications too. I think I'll just call a couple of shops close and see what I can buy argon mix for. Being able to go in and swap as I use it up sounds like the best way to go.

Tom

Mac

I did the bottle purchase and swap program from Tractor Supply.
Who\'s yer Data?

unklian

Quote from: "phat rat"The last I knew the suppliers around here would only fill their own bottles

Right.

river1

I do the same as glen, tho I don't have four bottles. I would also recommend getting 2 smallor medium bottles rather then one large bottle. Small bottles are easier to transport and if you run out of gas you can hook up your spare and keep welding. It always seems that you empty a bottle on the weekend when you can't get a refill :x   the only benefit I see to one large bottle is it is a bit cheaper to refill per unit of gas

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

39deluxe

I like the two smaller bottle idea.

DaveS

Check the deals at your local gas suppliers.  Some have a 5-year lease and some offer to sell bottles, so they don't have to keep track of the leases.   You can resell the bottle at some point in the future.

The small bottles cost more to fill and may not be much cheaper to buy or lease.

I decided to buy one large #5 bottle for $300 and went with the company that had the cheapest delivery rate.  All the gas suppliers in my area are about 20 miles away, so I plan to have my gas delivered.  Even though I bought the bottle, they don't refill it, they just deliver a different bottle, already filled.  A #5 bottle weighs over 120 pounds, so it's a little tough to handle.

Crosley.In.AZ

How do tell the size of the tank?

I've used this tank size in photo  for decades.  Still dont remember the size.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)