p/s harder on one direction then the other

Started by junkyardjeff, July 19, 2013, 11:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

The 69 Ford truck steering box is starting to require more effort turning left then right and it does not do it all the time,fluid is full so is the box or pump starting to go bad. The box came off a truck I parted about 10 years ago so does sitting with no fluid hurt then.

wayne petty

the first thing to do is change the power steering fluid..

either use a suction device.. turkey baster or some kind of extraction device.. to pull as much fluid from the pump reservoir as you can.. then refill the pump with fresh.. start the engine and spin the steering wheel from lock to lock a few times.. shut down..  use the turkey baster again to remove as much fluid as you can..

do this 3 or 4 times.. it will dilute the old power steering fluid enough to restore operation for a while...

other ways to change the power steering fluid..

pull the return line off at the back of the pump..  plug the pump opening.. extend the removed line into  a bottle and wire the hose into the opening..    this takes 2 people..

pour fluid into the pump reservoir.. when full have the person behind the wheel start the engine and rock the wheels back and forth as fast as possible while you pour fluid in as fast as you can.. if it runs dry or you run out.. you MUST HAVE THEM shut off the engine instantly...

the rocking of the steering wheel from lock to lock gets all the old fluid out of both ends of the piston chambers..

i have wanted to create a tight fitting funnel into the pump so i can just pour fluid into the funnel.. while the pump pulls it in and the return line dumps it out.

lastly is the professional power steering fluid exchange..

many of the oil change shops have a power steering fluid exchanger..  with a pair of tubes that slip into the pump reservoir..  they pour a gallon or two of power steering fluid into the exchanger.   the fluid is pumped in thru one tube and extracted thru the other.. this dilutes the fluid with enough volume that it changes a large percentage of the fluid.. by dilution..

dirty fluid does not provide the piston or spool valve seals enough lube to slide.. so it lifts or angles them and the pressure can leak past..  dirt can lift them also..

you may still end up needed to replace the steering box..

if this is in a 69 ford pickup..

please closely examine the steering coupling to  steering box input shaft area.. make sure they have not separated.. i have found several that did come apart.. leaving the driver with a NON connected steering wheel... a real whoops moment..

also.. check the cross member to side of the frame bolts.. there is one or two right under the steering box that stops the outer frame rail from rocking when the steering wheel is turned. the reaction to the torque of the box pushing the tie rod ends causes this rocking..  you won't believe how much better the truck steers when you have that bolt tight..  i seem to recall it was 5/8 and 11/16 tools to tighten that bolt..

junkyardjeff

It has fairly new fluid in it,it was installed a couple years ago and everything was dry and it just sat in the garage while doing body work. The box came from a truck I parted about 10 years ago and I just got plates for the truck so its the first time its been on the road in a few years,I have another steering box I can try if this one does not start working right after I put a few miles on it.

junkyardjeff

Maybe I should have driven it more before posting as it seems to be working good now,going to get the other box out of the shed in case it starts to act up again. I put a few miles on it yesterday.