Some reflections while walking around a junkyard today

Started by junkyardjeff, May 04, 2013, 10:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

I was at a older junkyard that has been very overgrown with trees since I started buying parts from there,over the winter someone in the family must have needed firewood as they cleaned out most of the old section and it was strange to see everything. Got what I needed from the old section and headed over to the new section to get some mid 80s parts for a friends car,the new section was started in the mid 90s and it was strange to see 80s cars having trees grow around and through them like with the 40s to 70s cars in the old section. Its hard to imagine 80s cars are now 30 years old and some of them have been sitting over 10 years.I still consider 80s vehicles daily drivers but are seeing less of them on the road every year and it looks strange seeing them with historical tags.

chimp koose

New cars are cars that were built when you were in high school.Old cars were built before you were born.Anything built after high school is a "modern" car.If you can remember someone driving it to school it is neither old or new.My definitions as I see the world ,your opinions may vary.

Arnold

Here in Ontario:

Quite a few..waaay too many cars about 8-9 years old. Rusted out.
Buying a used car here? BEWARE. Lots and LOTS! of 2003/2004..cars that are "as is".."might need a bit of work" HAHA. Sure..the rockers are like cheese..behind them..often floors/sub frames rotted.Just not worth fixing.
 11/12 year old cars. 2001/2002. LOTS!! of them just completely rusted out. Around that age..strut towers..especially the rears..bye bye,
  14/15 y/o cars..late 1990s..the pickings get pretty slim for parts.
   17 years old or so..mid 1990's. May as well forget it.
   Pickups..large sport utes..full size vans..pleny of parts going back 15 years..late 1990's..Once they hit the mid 1990's..parts get a bit iffy. 20 years..early 1990's..forget it.

While..yes..with regular annual rust proofing..there are still quite a few older..10-15 y/o cars on the road up here.10-12 y/o is one thing..15 y/o..later 1990's..getting parts can be hard. Sure..well most wreckers
CAN get stuff shipped in..the cost of that..and the time factor..
   There are really not that many cars from even the late 1990's left on
the road here.Not many pickups,large sport utes,full size vans from the  mid 1990's either.
  You never,ever,ever see cars,trucks burning oil.There is a hot line to call if you see one..if they don't catch you with a description..THEN. A license plate and they will pay you a visit.
  I live out in the country..hardly any old vehicles out here anymore!
Bazillions of mid 2000's to new 4x4sport utes and pickups.

Just the way it is here.

Crosley.In.AZ

I tend to think of modern cars the way mentioned that centers around high school time.

Here in Aridzona around the metro Phoenix area , we see more old iron on the road than some locales.

Regularly see a 1969 SS396 ElCamino on the I-10. Not a primo car, a nice driver if that makes sense.  May be a clone type car, i dont know. LOL

A 68 Caddy drop top, I've seen several times lately. He has the top up , windows up , so I guess the A/C functions in it.

Another ElCamino I see has the old side pipe exhausts... the chrome ones that had the chrome heat covering, long rectangle holes.

Saw a 1968 Camaro last week on the way to work. Nice looking driver car.  We dont see many gen 1 Camaros as daily drivers any longer

Saw an old Dodge van last year  with a set of the Thrush side pipes, the cast aluminum ones
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

t-vicky

I have this thing that if I can remember it new on the show room then it aint old.  Guess thats why I dont like 55 Chevys.