current project

Started by enjenjo, March 27, 2013, 10:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

55 Chevy pickup. I am doing an air ride system. The rear had to be made from scratch, he did not want to raise the bed floor, so every thing had to fit between the stock spring, and the bottom of the bed floor.  It's all in there, but every thing had to be custom made, there was nothing on the market that would work as is.

I went axle over the spring, with a tapered bag behind the axle, mounted from the spring to the frame. It has a linked traction bar under the spring, and two leaves in the spring. There is a leveling valve to control ride height.

I started on the front this week. I am using shockwaves on the front with a leveling valve on each side. I modified the control arms for more travel to correct the subframe being installed too high in the frame.

Yesterday I found the frame cracked where the subframe was installed improperly, so I am in the process of fixing that.

It will have a .48 CFM compressor mounted in the bed of the truck.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

How much travel do these bags have?
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

In the picture the frame is all the way down. At ride height it has 2 1/2" between the frame and axle, and 2" down. Hopefully with the leveling valve that will be enough.

enjenjo

More on the project. The Shockwaves recommended for this front end would not work, since the subframe was installed too high in the frame. So, I sent them back, and they are sending taller ones. I also modified the upper A frame so it can set higher.

I installed the driveshaft today, with the frame all the way down on the stops, it clears the crossmembers by 1"

I spent most of the day rewiring the cab, and wiring the relay box for the air ride.

enjenjo

Installed the bed on it today. Now I am finishing up the wiring. Still waiting on the front air bags.