Started by enjenjo, April 03, 2013, 10:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Do I need to pay more attention?

_

See the above frank, and follow instructions :roll:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

EMSjunkie

Lol! Glad to see things are still the same here!
I need to check in more often!
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Dirty Harry

Heard the tapping sound so signed back in after a short (4yr) absence. Nothing much happening here apart from ongoing attempt to finish my '66 Valiant. Chrysler tourer went down the tubes, lack of funds and chassis builder went out of business rather suddenly. Nuff said.
Good to be back.

39deluxe

I went to Mansfield and back tonight but I'm still awake. Must be the tap tap tapping.

Tom

wayne petty

tap tap tapping...

when i worked at the machine shop...

i spent time everyday running taps in and out of bolt holes to clean them.. i even had some bristle brushes i could run in a drill...

then one day i ran across some spiral fluted  taps at a swap meet..  i picked up the sizes i used a lot.. 5/16-18, 3/8-16, 7/16-14, 1/2-13.   i would just hand chuck them into my drill... so they would still slip if they bound..  man... made my day.. i could save an hour each day..

the boss was hand tapping a small block chevy..  i walked over with my drill with the 7/16 tap... told him to be careful that he does not cross thread or start a second set of threads...
i looked over and he had a HUGE smile on his face.. thought this was wonderful...   so i was back to grinding valves.. i looked across... the boss was using my spiral fluted tap.. to clean the debris out of the coolant passages... just sawing away with it..  like it was a carbide cutting tool..  man was he upset that i took it away from him..

you should have heard me cuss when i would come in and find the block master rotary broach NOT LEVEL .. it took me a while to level it with shim stock and a floor jack... the next day it was off again.. this drove me crazy for weeks.. until one day when it was raining.. i noticed a trickle of water running down the wall behind the machine.. across the floor and thru a crack on the floor directly under the machine..  this caused the soil under the slab to swell.. lifting the floor slightly and changing the level of the block master just enough to drive me crazy..

Rrumbler

Speaking of taps, I had to go buy one yesterday.  One would think that after all this time, I would have come well into the metric world, but, noo-o-o-o-o, not ol' Hairy Grump; don't have any metric taps or dies, so had to fetch one from the supply hardware..  Had to take the carb off of the lawnmower, and found that the Sears Repair contractor that did the warranty service on it a couple of years ago put the bolts into the aluminum head without any anti-sieze; I hope I can save them without having to heli-coil them.

Don't that just make your "yell and cuss" switch get stuck on the on position, Wayne?  I was known for being a grouch about stuff like that; got so bad that I started locking my personal tools up.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

wayne petty

well... for the forums sake... let me put a list together of METRIC taps.. that i use in cars..

M 6 x 1.0    almost everything on every car...

M 8 x1.0    usually exhaust studs..
M8 x 1.25   very very popular...

there is a M9 x 1.25 also.. used on some honda parts like brake caliper brackets ... rarely used.. i don't even have one..

M10 x 1.0     usually exhaust studs...
M10 x 1.25   usually imported cars
M10 x 1.50   domestic and imported nuts and bolts
M10 x 1.75..  rarely if ever used..

M 11 x 1.25
M 11 x 1.50... these 11 mm taps are usually head bolt holes in blocks.. that use TORQUE to yield bolts..

M 12 x 1.0  usually exhaust system fine thread studs and big bolts into the blocks..
M 12 x1.25  various engine fasteners and lug nuts
M 12 x 1.5  various engine fasteners and lug nuts
M 12 x 1.75  rarely used in automotive

M 14 x 1.25  spark plug size and some lug nuts
M 14 x. 1.5   some lug nuts

M 18 x  1.5  this is an oxygen sensor and big ford spark plug size...

these are the sizes that I keep in metric in my tool box..

i made some of the sizes bold... those are the sizes that are a MUST HAVE in every automotive tool box...  if you do cylinder heads.. include both 11MM taps..

along with all the SAE and USS sizes...

warning.. GOING To a hardware store for some of these sizes is going to get you a WHAT SIZE do you want..

as builders hardware stores don't even have all these sizes available..

ordering thru professional autoparts stores like a napa... ordering online thru sears..

off a snap on.. mac.. cornwell, matco  tool truck..  or from snap on online..

lastly.. with the use of metric threads in almost everything..

when visiting junk yards i look around for 10MM fine thread bolts and also nuts...  i usually look for something like from a flywheel bolt... i keep the nut on the bolt and tossed into my tool box...  look for bolts with 10.9 or 12.9 on the head...   why... 10 x 1.0 is the same size as most metric clutch and brake lines...  why again.. so you can run one of these bolts into the master when somebody has cross threaded the first thread or two... to save it..   you can run the nut on the tube nut threads to save it..  i usually use a TIGHT FITTING socket to guide the bolt into the threads..

this is enough to straighten the first few threads on aluminum clutch and brake master cylinders..

the past few years i have always hooked up the lines before i fully seated the master.. so i can wobble it around to get the tube nut started without cross threading.

sorry to tap off on a different pitch for this thread..

Rrumbler

Went to McFadden-Dale Industrial Hardware, they have been my main go-to place for real stuff for over thirty years, have never failed me.  Grainger was always happy to order what they might not have in stock, but since I retired and put my contractor's License inactive, they (here in Las Vegas, anyhow) won't sell to me.  :?:  :?:
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

Topsterguy

Quote from: "wayne petty"when i saw the title.. TAP TAP TAP...

this is all i could think about...

i guess that a Different Thread was in mind.. :roll:

Good one!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

chimp koose

you mean Taper , Plug ,and Bottom tap.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "chimp koose"you mean Taper , Plug ,and Bottom tap.

That's what I was taught also ..  );b(

Bob ....... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****