Bye bye bumpsticks ?

Started by Mac, March 04, 2013, 09:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

Who\'s yer Data?

enjenjo

F1 has been using it for some time. You are going to see it on normal cars sooner than you think. Ford and GM are both experimenting with it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

purplepickup

Eaton had a few engines with variations in the test cells when I retired.
George

Mac

I'm guessing that the air actuated valve event is computer controlled? What would an electronic glitch do? Catastrophe like a broken timing belt, no doubt.
Who\'s yer Data?

chimp koose

I had seen a post about this on a different site. This is groundbreaking in one way and frightening in another.The frightening part is that one day I will HAVE to learn about computers in order to play with engines.The interesting thing is that most engine technology has been built around the cam and valvetrains ability to maintain controll of valve action . This valve actuator system will not have to contend with valve lifter diameter or type ,rpm,etc. Cyl head design will change as well .It is likely that the shape and style of vehicles may change as the shape and size of the engine is adapted to the new technology.The camless engine could be made to rotate in either direction without much redesign.

taxpyer

I don't think we really have much to worry about. :?  I think his car might need that by the way the valves floated when they over reved it.
I'm sorry for sounding "negetive" but when I look around at what's going on with technology, will we be able to afford this kind of stuff? I wonder. :roll:  Thanks for the link and info though.
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

rooster

Quote from: "taxpyer"I don't think we really have much to worry about. :?  I think his car might need that by the way the valves floated when they over reved it.
I'm sorry for sounding "negetive" but when I look around at what's going on with technology, will we be able to afford this kind of stuff? I wonder. :roll:  Thanks for the link and info though.

Kinda makes you feel like were the Ginnie pig!

32coupe

Wow, I can imagine the new heads you could desighn for a Hemi.

I want some......................
If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

jaybee

Yeah, valve control is part of it, but the way it would free up port design is also big. A few years ago when Dodge returned to NASCAR their engine design was a huge bone of contention. The late model Hemi has the cam positioned way high in the block. Yeah, that means the pushrods are short and reduces valvetrain weight but as it turns out that isn't the thing that made the Ford and Chevy teams nuts. It's actually the way that different angle entering the head and how that improved port design that was the big deal. It was enough to potentially give them several hundred extra rpm and enough additional horsepower to upset the competitive balance. That's when the gear rule entered stock car racing to prevent engine speeds entering the 10,000 rpm range in the case of the Dodge teams.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

tomslik

Quote from: "Mac"I'm guessing that the air actuated valve event is computer controlled? What would an electronic glitch do? Catastrophe like a broken timing belt, no doubt.

i'd think they'd "default" to closed position...at least that's what i'd want 'em to do :shock:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list