This followed me home.

Started by kb426, March 20, 2013, 06:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

TEAM SMART

enjenjo

48-50 cab? Wrong dash for a 51-52. Wrong rear window for a 51-52.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

I bought this from an estate. I was told it's a 50 1 ton. I don't know enough about the dashes to know if there is a year change from 48 to 50. There is a serial no. tag on the firewall. Is there a website that can decode that?
TEAM SMART

parklane

If I remember right, 48-50 were the same, but I've been wrong before.
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

sirstude

I thought a 54 was the only one of those style with a 1 piece windshield.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

Quote from: "sirstude"I thought a 54 was the only one of those style with a 1 piece windshield.

That would be Chevrolet, Ford used a flat windshield to 52, 53 was a new cab, and called an F100 rather than a F1.

If it was a one ton, it would have been a F3 model. Serial number tag was on the glove box door on mine.

Harry

phat rat

[quote="enjenjo"[Serial number tag was on the glove box door on mine.[/quote]

That's where I've always seen them from that time period
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

wayne petty

perhaps this will help in figuring out what it is

http://www.mercurypickup.com/194951fordus.htm

1949 - 1951 Ford Truck US
Serial and Engine Number

1949 Rating Plate

The serial and the engine number are the same on a 1949 Ford truck and are located on the glove box door and also on the top left side of the frame near the steering gear.

The first digit in the Serial Number indicate the year, 9 = 1949
The second and third digits are either 7H, which denotes a 6-cylinder engine or 8R which denotes a 8-cylinder engine.

The forth digit is a letter which identifies the model line: A=Passenger, C=1/2 Ton pickup, Y=3/4 Ton and T= 1 Ton.

The last 6 digits indicate the production sequence.

very nice

kb426

It appears that it is a 49 originally with a v8. The firewall tag is real clear. The glovebox not so much. If it was sold in 1950, would it have been titled as such?
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"It appears that it is a 49 originally with a v8. The firewall tag is real clear. The glovebox not so much. If it was sold in 1950, would it have been titled as such?

Depends on the state. In Ohio it would still be a 49. In others, it would be titled as a 50.

sirstude

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "sirstude"I thought a 54 was the only one of those style with a 1 piece windshield.

That would be Chevrolet, Ford used a flat windshield to 52, 53 was a new cab, and called an F100 rather than a F1.

If it was a one ton, it would have been a F3 model. Serial number tag was on the glove box door on mine.

Boy that shoe tasted good.  Guess I should look at the rest of the cab, not just the windshield before I open my mouth.

Doug    :oops:
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

purplepickup

Very nice find! 8)  Whatcha gonna do with it?
George

kb426

George, I bought this with out a plan. I'm looking at the classifieds late in the evening and this had been posted a few hours before. It had a pic of the top and a partial of one door. I called the man and asked a few questions as to which most answers were " I don't know". He is the admin. of his friends estate. I bought it without any real description thinking it might be a start for a top chop and who know's what else. It turned out to be so much better than I expected that I'm going to send lots of time before anything is decided. I've got several projects in front of this so I moved it to the back yard and tarped it. I would like to be able to tell you guys that I have a plan but the only plan I had is these are becoming difficult to find. This set in a building for the last 20 years. It might sit in my backyard for quite a while.   :lol:
TEAM SMART

wayne petty

if its going to sit exposed in your back yard.. with a tarp...

perhaps it would be a good idea... to protect it...

and this is going to take some thinking up front..

cleaning... then coating with some kind of rust converter or other coating to protect the surface from additional corrosion..

putting some POR-15 in a garden sprayer and coating it... and all the nooks and crannies...  inside and out.. and UNDERNEATH

time spent now... may save HUGE down the road in rust repair.