Brake Lines

Started by 50 F1, February 09, 2013, 03:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50 F1

Do you need the coils in the brake lines going from the master cylinder down to the proportioning valve?  Are they there so they can flex and not break from the twisting of the body and frame.  If they have to be there how many do I need?

Thanks Mike

UGLY OLDS

There MUST be something to allow flexing between a firewall mounted  master cylinder & anything mounted to the frame .. When I made the lines on my Olds I just coiled the lines around a 1" impact socket held in a vise..  Gave me 4 coils about 1-3/8" O.D.... Small & easy to hide right at the valve mounted to the frame .... ...

Same thing with your steering shaft ...You MUST provide some kind of a vibration absorbing device between the steering column & any shafts that are attached to the steering box or through heim joints on the frame ....The body moves around on the frame a BUNCH..  I wore out 2 steering U-Joints before I found out about this little gem ... Believe it or not ..."Rag Joints" in cars are there just for this vibration issue ...( And to correct SLIGHT misalignment  issues ..) Mainly to resolve the vibration issue .....The older vehicles with solid steering shafts always had the column mounted in rubber of some type where it mounted to the dash ...
Just to allow the column to move a small amount .....

Perhaps others may also comment ....  :idea:

Bob ...... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

phat rat

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"
Same thing with your steering shaft ...You MUST provide some kind of a vibration absorbing device between the steering column & any shafts that are attached to the steering box or through heim joints on the frame ....The body moves around on the frame a BUNCH..  I wore out 2 steering U-Joints before I found out about this little gem ... Believe it or not ..."Rag Joints" in cars are there just for this vibration issue ...( And to correct SLIGHT misalignment  issues ..) Mainly to resolve the vibration issue .....The older vehicles with solid steering shafts always had the column mounted in rubber of some type where it mounted to the dash ...
Just to allow the column to move a small amount .....

Perhaps others may also comment ....  :idea:

Bob ...... :wink:

On my cpe I have a double D shaft that slides into a double D tube it takes care of any vibration.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

50 F1

Thanks for the information.  Putting the coils down below by the PV is a good idea. I just didn't like the looks of them up by the master cylinder

Thanks Mike