Brake Booster

Started by 50 F1, February 10, 2013, 03:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50 F1

I am full of questions

I think I said this before but if I didn't I had a shop graft a front frame clip on my F1. This was about 28 years ago so it was before they had Mustang 2 frame stubs for this truck. So anyway they used a cut off from a 72 Monte Carlo.  I have the swing pedal assembly and the booster from the same car.  The swing pedal is working good under the dash but the booster is tilted back at a 17* angle. This seems way to much. The front reservoir will only be half full before the brake fluid  starts running  out.

Somewhere in the Monte Carlo there must of been a angle built in to make the master cylinder and the booster close to flat. Maybe the swing pedal angled up from the fire wall up under the dash, this would straighten the booster out.

I am thinking of making a angled plate to fit in between the booster mount and the firewall. The shaft coming out of the booster pivots inside so I think I can do this as long as I don't but a bind anywhere in the brake pedal travel.

If I do this will I change the pedal ratio or cause any other problems?

How many degrees can the master be tilted back?

Thanks for any info

Mike

Arnold

Quote from: "50 F1"I am full of questions

I think I said this before but if I didn't I had a shop graft a front frame clip on my F1. This was about 28 years ago so it was before they had Mustang 2 frame stubs for this truck. So anyway they used a cut off from a 72 Monte Carlo.  I have the swing pedal assembly and the booster from the same car.  The swing pedal is working good under the dash but the booster is tilted back at a 17* angle. This seems way to much. The front reservoir will only be half full before the brake fluid  starts running  out.

Somewhere in the Monte Carlo there must of been a angle built in to make the master cylinder and the booster close to flat. Maybe the swing pedal angled up from the fire wall up under the dash, this would straighten the booster out.

I am thinking of making a angled plate to fit in between the booster mount and the firewall. The shaft coming out of the booster pivots inside so I think I can do this as long as I don't but a bind anywhere in the brake pedal travel.

If I do this will I change the pedal ratio or cause any other problems?

How many degrees can the master be tilted back?

Thanks for any info

Mike

As far as the stock braking system..the first few master cylinders on vehicles that I saw that were REALLY TILTED!  I said WOAH! :shock:
I wonderred just how much fluid loss there was due to that/how much they would hold :?: There were no problems that I ever recall.
 I can't speak of using one in in a non stock configuration.
 A quick trip to a bone yard would surprise you as to how much tilt there
is to some stock setups!
 Sorry I can't be of more help.

phat rat

Why not change the master and booster to one that isn't angled? Just check what the master cylinder bore is and match it.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

Use an 80s Chevy master cylinder. It will bolt up to the booster, and has the reservoir tilted forward to make up the difference.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

50 F1

I already bought a new master cylinder and the box went with the core so it is mine.  I machined two 7* wedges and put them in between the booster and firewall. Rod coming out of the booster still has enough pivot and the pedal works good.

Thanks for the help
Mike