Hot rod in the air off topic

Started by WZ JUNK, April 24, 2005, 07:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I thought I should update this old post.   I went out to the airport yesterday and I watched Kyle Franklin practice.  He is flying a Waco just like the one pictured that his dad used but without the jet engine.  It is amazing to watch him fly the plane.  They did some air shows this summer and they bill it as the sons of the legends as both their fathers we killed in the crash mentioned earlier in this post.

I can hear them flying from my shop and I often step outside to watch them practice but I am quite a distance from them.  It is really something to see up close.

I think hot rods, old airplanes, and stunt airplanes all belong together.  There is also something about airports and drag racing.  I know I had to hammer the old truck on the way out the entrance road to the airport.  Felt good.  Good day to drive a hot rod.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

GPster

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Knowing that's a tough old airframe. Bet it's a RIDE. Never flown in a open cockpit plane. Was just telling Sharon the other day that I was gonna do it this summer somewhere.
Charlie
For a couple of years they would have a Stearman reunion locally. The local airport is in WVa (Parkersburg) and the owner of the local air freight company owned a few. One of the ones he had had been rescued from a museum and it's color gave you no question whose it was when it was in the air. For my birthday the year after I got out of the hospital a pilot friend of mine took me to the reunion. They were selling rides and she knew enough of the pilots there that she got me a Stearman ride. I think the pilot was instructed to impress me as the flight was longer  than everyone else had been given. My personal captivation to these planes is how slow they can be going and still stay in the air. The one time I went to Hershey I found it was bordered on one side by a small airport. It was amazing watching Bi-planes slow to land. Might check Stearman (which I've probably mis-spelt 3 times) and see if they have a WEB site with a schedule. I think they have a re-union every year. GPster

Ohio Blue Tip

I'm also a fan of planes, air shows and some history.
You may have heard that Paul Tibbets died last week.  Several years ago I got to meet him and he signed my copy of his book, "Return of The Enola Gay" If you have the chance to read his book, it's a great read and presents a good history in the view of the man that lived it.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

Crosley.In.AZ

there was fellow that performed trick flying at the BeeLine Dragway on many occasions.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

purplepickup

As I posted earlier I always was amazed when I watched Jimmy Franklin in that jet biplane.  His son Kyle was the wingwalker that was usually part of the show.  There's some videos of their shows on You Tube.  Watching them makes me think about what a thrill it must have been to be in control of that plane....or to be standing on the wing. :shock:     This is one.  

I'm glad to hear his son is still in the cockpit. You only go round once 8)
George

WZ JUNK

More sad news.

I will post the link below to an online newspaper article.  Kyle and Amanda crashed yesterday.  The latest information that I have is that she is in much worse shape than Kyle.  I have been told that he was hurt more trying to get her out of the plane.

I had a long visit with him last month.  He was telling me about the new plane that he is having built.  Same motor as this Waco but 80% the size.

My thoughts are with them.  I will update this post as I get more information.

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/news/fiesta-123823-air-crash.html

http://www.franklinairshow.com/

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

kb426

That's terrible. I hope they both survive.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

WOW....  the crash landing is bad enough, the fire can make things real bad.

We hope for the best for them.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

WZ JUNK

I am bring up an old post that I have added to over the years.  The last post I made noted that Kyle and Amanda crashed at an air show in south Texas.  Amanda died as a result of burns from the engine fire.

Kyle performed last years shows in a Super Cub while his new biplane was finished.  He had been working on it several years.

This is the new plane.  He has been burning holes in the sky with it the last month or so.  I needed to drive the old truck today, so I went to the airport and watched as he practiced.  It is 80% the size of the old plane and has a more powerful engine.  A true hot rod of the sky.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck