Im B'ville dreaming again. Any thoughts?

Started by Beck, December 24, 2012, 12:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unklian

Quote from: "Beck"
unklian - I think it would be better to offset grind the crank to the Honda journal size and use a more common block.

Take a look at the oil holes, before you start grinding.

unklian

[quote="Beck" I would think the 3.125 stroke would lead to some weird rod/piston setups. This crank is priced right.-
The available crank on the landspeed site has 3.48 stroke which makes the engine the right size with standard 350 parts. Waiting for contact from the owner.[/quote]

The 3.48 stroke motor would probably be easier/cheaper.

Beck

The owner of the 3.48 stroke crank got back with me. If I had to have a 180 degree crank with that stroke it would be a good buy, but it would make for a much more expensive engine build. The 3.125 stroke crank although much less expensive would cost as much down the road by trying to make the engine bigger.
I believe the way to go would be just let it shake a bit and use the stock crank setup. I'm a low dollar guy. Others have run them at Bonneville. Some broke, some didn't. With the information I've gathered I think I could make it live for a few years. At the most it would make ten 3 mile runs a year. Those would all be full throttle passes though. 2 years, 10 passes each, 3 miles each. 60 miles wide open throttle??? Maybe not??

WZ JUNK

I am presently working on the air intake for the flat cad.  It will be a similar shape to the one I built for Hooley's 974.  The next part of the project will be the aero front end assembly.

Bonneville offers many options.  I tend to look at the teams that are successful and try to use what they have done as a guideline.  It has been said that nothing is really new, just different combinations of old things or ways.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Charlie Chops 1940

Tom,

Have you looked at the for sale stuff on the landracing board? $2000 will buy a 200+ streamlined MC in the L.A. area. You might not set a record but you could sure go fast...

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Beck

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Tom,

Have you looked at the for sale stuff on the landracing board? $2000 will buy a 200+ streamlined MC in the L.A. area. You might not set a record but you could sure go fast...

Charlie
Never thought of looking there. I'll check it out.

I talked to a Corvair guru today. They can be made fast buy very costly. The heads don't flow. $3k helps the heads but they still don't compare to aftermarket SBC parts. There is a '65 for sale locally, but it is an auto trans.

The Monza I found has the 2 headlight grill, not the quad, so I'm not thrilled with it either. I do think the Monza has the best potential of those I'm considering.

Sitting on the couch it all sounds easy. Maybe I should just buy a recliner!

Mikej

So some Corvairs came with turbos. Can you use twin turbos? Only use the same driveline parts that came on Corvairs?  Check Clarks Corvair parts.
Also if you use Half a SBC does it run as a slant 4 or a V-4

Beck

Quote from: "Mikej"So some Corvairs came with turbos. Can you use twin turbos? Only use the same driveline parts that came on Corvairs?  Check Clarks Corvair parts.
Also if you use Half a SBC does it run as a slant 4 or a V-4
The turbo would put it into a "Blown" class. From my understanding twin turbos would be legal for that class since it was "factory" turbocharged and form of forced induction becomes legal. BUT that isn't the class I'm after.
Most "half" a SBC engines run as slant 4's but there have been a few that ran as V4's. I would have thought the V4 would be better since it would remain even firing, but that isn't the case. It works with a small stroke. The larger strokes motors seem to bend crankshafts.  If your willing to put out the cash for a custom 180 degree crankshaft and camshaft the Slant 4 again becomes even firing.

unklian

The Monza has the potential to be competitive in more classes.

The Corvair, not so much.

GPster

Quote from: "Mikej"So some Corvairs came with turbos. Can you use twin turbos? Only use the same driveline parts that came on Corvairs?
Some notes on playing with Corvairs. I would think 140HP heads breathe better than any of the heads that only have one carb inlet per head. The single inlet heads have an unbalanced flow to the cylinders where the 140HP heads are more balanced. Dual turboing a set of 140HP heads would be an interesting combo but you'd probably be better with a pair of turbos off motorcycles to balance things out cubic inch wise. One of the things that might present a problem is that when Corvair engines went larger they seemed to blow head gaskets more. I think that the early/late head gaskets share the same OD but when the cylinders went to a larger bore there was less cylinder surface purchase against the head gasket. This may only be a supposition but it will be the case if you were to try and bore the cylinders to get the 164 CI closer to 180 CI. I played around Corvairs in the dune,mud,off-road configuration for a couple of years. I used a "junk yard" transmission out of a Corvair van. Never did anything to it (like drop the pan, change the filter ?) and I never had a problem with it. A buddy had an automatic in front (remember they're backwards) of his buggy with 140HP heads, an after-market 4 barrel manifold and 31" tractor tread tires. His transmission was out of a junk car and had the same preparation as mine. His only problem was breaking axels. I think even though those trannys may be scarey because of the concentric shafts I think they share some of powerglides ideas. I think they are similar to the automatic transmissions that they used in those Pontiac Tempests with the 1/2V8 slant 4s. Wayne might have some ideas. He may still have that Corvair powered VW van. GPster

Beck

I have ruled out the Corvair. If I do the build that will NOT be the car. There are just too many issues and too much money.
I could move to a lot of classes with other choices but no so much so with a Corvair.
When I talked to the pro I found out how tough it would be with that power/transmission. He was stepping up to a Porsch 5 speed.