CAN YOU HELP IDENTIFY THESE PARTS

Started by PeterR, December 18, 2012, 06:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterR

The parts used are from various donor vehicles, any help in identifying them would be appreciated.

I believe the shockers are Cadillac.

PeterR

Quote from: "PeterR"The parts used are from various donor vehicles, any help in identifying them would be appreciated.

I believe the shockers are Cadillac.

To give some background.    

The vehicle was built during the early 1950s using components from standard road vehicles.

I have been advised the the shockers are Cadillac and there has been a suggestion the uprights might be Studebaker.

If anyone has any suggestions of the origin of any components please fire away.

wayne petty

thats a hard one peter..

but could it be a Rolls Royce???

take a look at the center drum of the 3..

http://www.brakedrum.co.uk/www.typecastltd.co.uk/info.php?p=4

what ever it is .....   its Quality workmanship...

perhaps its actually the narrower finned drum in the upper right corner of the web page...

are there any casting numbers on the shocks???? as there is a company here who specializes in those...  they might have some info..

http://www.applehydraulics.com/delco.htm

enjenjo

I can think of three possibilities. Studebaker, though the spindle upright does not look right for the later ones, Willys used a Planar suspension in the late 40s in their 2 wheel drive wagons and Jeepster, and Vauxhall Velox  late 40s and 50s. If Vauxhall that could explain the Delco shock. The drums do look like Alfin drums, possibly Morgan?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

PeterR

Thanks for the suggestions offered, please keep on your thinking caps.

Popular hearsay has been that the entire front suspension came from a late 40s Studebaker.   I did some snooping around and could not find images of any Stude that looked like the picture.

Then I was told by a more reliable source the top arms are definitely Cadillac and the rest is a mix of parts from US vehicles.

That started me on a random search for anything with a transverse leaf spring.  But nothing matching the picture came up. It is quite surprising just how many transverse spring fronts there have been over the years, though most still use conventional lower arms in combination with the leaf spring.  

Have not been able to find any images of the transverse spring Jeep front suspension, so any leads would be appreciated.

I would not be surprised if the brake drums have a machined finned ring shrunk onto the outside of the drum to improve the heat dissipation.  Judging from the wheel size the drums are probably 12" diameter by 1.5" wide, does give any hints?

Any further suggestions no matter how vague will be appreciated.

GPster

To go along with Enjenjo's recogitions I remember seeing what was supposed to have been a '40 Studebaker Champ with that kind of traverse spring independent front suspension. It was clear back in the mid '60s when the raised-up front end Gasser look was just starting to get popular so I mostly remember it from thinking that it would be easy to "Jack it up" and make it fast. Having seen a few earlier and later Studebakers I don't recognize any of those parts so the having the traverse spring is the only connection I can make. On the Willys connection, my '48 Jeepster had that kind of front suspension and it was supposed to have shared the same frame design with the 2WD station wagons and pick-up trucks of those years ('48 - '51). The connection goes a little deeper. The   rear-steer spindles an the trunion (?) type of spring bushing design. One other quick check might bring you closer. I'm not positive on the 2WDs but Willys seemed to be the only other manufacturer that used that 11/16" thread on their tie rods. As far as Willys goes I don't recognize those brakes unless their look has been really "doctored-up" and 12" brakes seems over-sized in the Willys line. Ford had 12" brakes but their shoes were      1 3/4" wide. They don't look like Ford 12" brake backing plates maybe Lincoln. The spindles I would think would belong with the uprights because kingpin diameter and camber (?) angle would have required some fancy machining to mate two pieces that weren't matched. You might take the sizes of the brake shoes as another clue. An old brake shoe catalog should point you to manufacturers by size (12" x 1 1/2"?). GPster

Carnut

I thought the upright looked like it came off an early Mopar with the spring mount welded on where the bottom crossbolt and bushings would have been.