Head Lights

Started by 40 Chev Coupe, December 03, 2012, 05:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

40 Chev Coupe

Does anyone know of brand of 7" headlight with a blinker inside it that looks like a regular sealed beem? By this I mean not flat on the face.

1800guy

A direct quote from a friend in the lighting business:

"Nothing like described exists that's worth spending money on if you're looking for good lighting,  There are very nice 7 inchers with city-lamp bulb fixtures -but- they will not be remotely adequate serving as turn signals if the headlamps are lit."
My project is 90% finished, with only 90% to go.

wayne petty

i have a STUPID idea.... about this...

might be doable..

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/category/340600/LEDs/12-Vdc/1.html

all shows 205 different LEDs... there are thousands of different designs several different colors also..

click the LED link in the left frame.. or above left in that window..

hidden or embedded in the trim ring around the headlight.

will it meet DOT standards for automotive use????

creating a circuit board to fit around the inside of the trim rings might not be that hard to do..   as long as you figure a way to water proof it..  either with a proper water proofing coating used on automotive computer circuit boards..  or encasing in epoxy..  or even silicone..

one more thing.. in case most of you have not noticed..

6014 light bulbs are very hard to find.. you can get H6024 in halogen.. but conventional 6014s as far as i can tell are out of production for a few years now..  every time i run across some.. i buy them..

one more thing...  for side marker lights... that come on solid and also flash with the blinkers...
pay attention at how they started to be wired in GM cars and trucks in the late 70's...

they are NOT grounded in an obvious location..

one side of the #194 bulbs is hooked to the tail and parking light wiring.. usually a brown wire in 70 up wiring.. and the other side is hooked to the turn signal wiring...

when the parking lights are on.. the bulb is grounded through the dark turn signal elements.... so they come on... when the turn signals start flashing..  the side markers start flashing.. as they get grounded when the turn signal is NOT ON and loose their ground connection when the turn signal is on.. so they now work with a great advantage as they let that guy in the next lane know that you have your turn signals on. as he can see the side markers flashing..

this is not obvious.. as to how it works in the wiring diagrams.. i thought i should explain it..

58 Yeoman

I've always liked the turn signals to be away from the headlights, as they can be hard to see on an oncoming car when its headlights are on.  More and more people are not paying attention while they are driving, and if they are talking on the cell while seeing your headlights, they may not notice the turn signal if its washed out by the headlights.  Just my opinion.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

chimp koose

street rodder had an article in the late 70's on how to wire the headlights to be signals. the idea was that you shouldnt be signalling with the hi beams on anyways.I dont really know if they would be legal or not.

wayne petty

i just got ask a question about installing hazard flashers in a car that was not designed for them..

it easy... if you can get the switch linked below..

to install emergency flashers in any CAR or truck that DID Not come with them..

chop into the harness... separate out each of the bulb outputs..

pick up one of these switches for EACH car...

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/STS-70/4PDT-ON-ON-TOGGLE-SWITCH/1.html

its an ON.. .ON... switch with 4 individual poles.. double throw.. so there are 12 terminals on the back...

on one outer row of 4... all of them go to an output of a flasher...

the center go to the 4 turn signal lights...

the  other outer row of 4 match come from the turn signal switch  with wires in the same position as the center row to the lights...

this allows you to have the switch in one position... and the turn signal lights work  normally as controlled by the turn signal and brake light wiring...

in the other position.. all the turn signal lights are getting power from the hazard flasher..

here are some more switches from grainger... if all electronics is out of your area

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ecatalog/N-1z0qgt2/Ntt-4PDT,+ON-ON+TOGGLE+SWITCH

34ford

Here's a site where Scooter put signals in his headlights. I did a similar thing using a bulb socket and just drilling a hole in my housing and pushing it in. You can see the bulb blinking with the headlights on.  My headlights have the curved or eyeball type of glass on the front.  I believe mine are lobeck's.

bob

http://www.project33.com/article.cfm?ID=385

40 Chev Coupe

Bob, a nice article, looks good to. But the problem I have is I am putting into a 50 Merc.

40 Chev Coupe

I actually found a set that I'm looking for. Thanks

enjenjo

Quote from: "40 Chev Coupe"I actually found a set that I'm looking for. Thanks

Source? That could be a problem solver.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

40 Chev Coupe