Pickup Spare Tire Mount..(Winch Type)

Started by Arnold, October 16, 2012, 02:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

Pretty much anyone who has had un-knowingly to deal with one of these things WHEN they are several years old/rusted is a changed man.
Right..the winch lowers it only a few inches..then the so called arms of the safety mechanism/secondary will not let it go any further because they are rusted. And there is next to no room to work.

I dunno..I have not seen this idea before? I dunno why not??

When it is all off..keep the winch setup. Get rid of that other nonsense.
A piece of angle iron. 2 bolts,washers,nuts.. to bolt it into position. Drill the 2 holes. Drill 2 holes in the angle iron and use some threaded rod(or tap the angle iron and use long bolts),some washers,nuts and grease or anti-seize.

I dunno..I mean this just seemed..and was..so simple. I still have and can use the handy winch thinggy to lift the tire up. Pretty handy. The winch itself is pretty simple..not much to rust there..a simple spool...some galvanized cable. Plus it lifts it right up onto the studs..a washer..finger tighten one nut..use another nut wrenched. Done. Safe. No problem when you need it.

I mean the manufacturers IDEA is good..PROVIDING you keep the vehicle at ALL times in a heated..controlled temperature and humidity
environment where the safety mechanism can't rust

phat rat

Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

wayne petty

toyotas in the 80s used a spare tire winch  i think it was toyota picks... used link type chain through the winch... worked great... did not fail.... was hard for bandits to cut the end off of..  

currently they get under the truck.. use a pair of pliers and lower your spare...  take a pair of bolt cutters and snip off the end to avoid the tell tail rattle of the loose plate dangling when the tire is missing..

i have had a few owners take a section of bar stock that fits into the double D distorted end of the tube.. and farther in.. cut at an angle.. then the cut off piece welded on to make something the shape of a putter ... this slides in to the loosening tube.. fits under the back doors to prevent bandits from getting access to the spare tire....

i have also thought about using one of these on the end of the engine hoist... but not really at the end.. about a foot back... so i can drop the chain and extend it... so i can crank the chain up after i have attached it to the front of the motor to get the nose of the motor up in the air for installation..

Mac

One day I found the rusted end of the cable style spare winch on my `92 K1500. No spare and no clue when or how it departed.  :oops:

When it came time to fab a spare mount on my `63 C-10 I found a chain style winch in the scrape yard. It was kinda scaly so they just gave it to me, no charge. Prepped and painted:
Who\'s yer Data?

tomslik

i've got one out of a 94 chevy PU i'm going to mount under the car trailer...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list