Can a low coolant level shut off a latemodel

Started by junkyardjeff, October 05, 2012, 06:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

My neighbors have a 02 Monte Carlo with a coolant leak I have been on them to fix but today it shut off going down the highway and they were able to get it restarted,it stayed running after filling it up with coolant so if the coolant temp sensor does not see coolant will it shut off the motor. I tried tapping on the MAF but no change and thinking possibly a crank sensor and going to pull codes tomorrow.

wayne petty

there is a COOLANT level sensor on the side of the radiator tank..

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/wl2/SU1302/image/4/

i don't know if it will shut the engine off.. but i would program it to... at least if it was still less than the warrantee milage on the odometer..

be sure to take the radiator pressure tester with you...

looks like that model uses a conventional radiator cap...

there are lots of hoses and places to leak.. be sure to check the water pump... they tend to leak on the inside of the pulley and it sprays out on the underhood insulation..

you did not say which motor you have...

this might help identify the various components..

http://gmoem.com/chevrolet/2002/lumina_impala_monte_carlo_2000-2002/cooling_system_grille_oil_system/

junkyardjeff

It has a V6 of some kind and the coolant leak looks to be coming from where they would be a bypass hose on a sbf.

junkyardjeff

I think its a 3.8 and looks to be the seals on the bypass pipe leaking.

wayne petty

jeff.. i think the 3.8 motors had issues with the upper intake leaking coolant...

look closely..

dorman has these about 130 bucks..

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/drm/615-180/image/4/

Dorman/Intake Manifold For your 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo 3.8L SFI OHV 6cyl Part Number: 615-180

just the plenum gasket set is about 40 bucks..

Dorman's Intake Manifold includes all the essential components for a full repair. Since this part is a direct replacement, the exact fit adds another layer of efficiency and convenience.
Re-engineered by Dorman with heat-resistant molding to reduce both warping and coolant leaks (where applicable)
Some manifolds feature a reinforced aluminum coolant crossover to eliminate corrosion and vibration (where applicable)
Reinforced EGR and coolant passage walls increased manifold durability (where applicable)
Torque specifications & bolt tightening sequence are provided for easier installation (where applicable)

i am not saying that the intake is leaking..

the bottom of the 4 links above.. have the part numbers from GM..  like item 9 and 12..

009   Seal   25537068   01.097   2000-2003   3   
Description:   Therm Bypass Pipe (O Ring) (Part Of 10,
11) (0.674" I.d.) (Teflon Coated) (9.260)
(Acdelco #15-34066)

010   Pipe   24503423   01.097   2000-2003   1   
Description:   Therm Bypass Upr (Incls 9) (To Lwr Int Manif.) (8.846)
011   Pipe   12565082   01.097   2000-2003   1   
Description:   Therm Bypass Lwr (Incls 9, 12)

012   Seal   24502846   01.097   2000-2003   1   
Description:   Therm Bypass Pipe (O Ring) (Part Of 11) (Seal-0.799" Id, 0.1.03 X-Sect Dia) (1.060)

348tripower

My memory isn't working this early this morning. But, some of these have two plastic elbows between the alternator mount and the intake and block. The coolant flows thru the mount. The ends have o rings and the rot off after time and have to be replaced. Take Waynes advice and check the intake too. I have fixed two of these and found leaks in both the elbows and the intakes.
Don
Don Colliau

enjenjo

I'll threepeat that. And use OE elbows if possible, the aftermarket stuff doesn't last.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Arnold

Quote from: "wayne petty"jeff.. i think the 3.8 motors had issues with the upper intake leaking coolant...

look closely..

dorman has these about 130 bucks..

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/drm/615-180/image/4/

Dorman/Intake Manifold For your 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo 3.8L SFI OHV 6cyl Part Number: 615-180

just the plenum gasket set is about 40 bucks..

Dorman's Intake Manifold includes all the essential components for a full repair. Since this part is a direct replacement, the exact fit adds another layer of efficiency and convenience.
Re-engineered by Dorman with heat-resistant molding to reduce both warping and coolant leaks (where applicable)
Some manifolds feature a reinforced aluminum coolant crossover to eliminate corrosion and vibration (where applicable)
Reinforced EGR and coolant passage walls increased manifold durability (where applicable)
Torque specifications & bolt tightening sequence are provided for easier installation (where applicable)

i am not saying that the intake is leaking..

the bottom of the 4 links above.. have the part numbers from GM..  like item 9 and 12..

009   Seal   25537068   01.097   2000-2003   3   
Description:   Therm Bypass Pipe (O Ring) (Part Of 10,
11) (0.674" I.d.) (Teflon Coated) (9.260)
(Acdelco #15-34066)

010   Pipe   24503423   01.097   2000-2003   1   
Description:   Therm Bypass Upr (Incls 9) (To Lwr Int Manif.) (8.846)
011   Pipe   12565082   01.097   2000-2003   1   
Description:   Therm Bypass Lwr (Incls 9, 12)

012   Seal   24502846   01.097   2000-2003   1   
Description:   Therm Bypass Pipe (O Ring) (Part Of 11) (Seal-0.799" Id, 0.1.03 X-Sect Dia) (1.060)

There is some difference between Cdn. and American 3.4's.
  I think it had something to do with the problems on the intakes on these.
  It was SUPPOSED to be fixed on later engines..manufactured after the earlier bad ones.
  Apparently NOT.
  I was in the market for an GM awd van with a later 3.4..the ones
that were SUPPOSED to be fixed.
  There are/were very,very few that either not leaking YET (at the intake)
or had not already been repaired there. Just how long they were run like that was supspect.
 JYJ..when you said they were GOING to fix this for a while..I'ld be getting a good look at the oil and changing it..perhaps flushing it.

junkyardjeff

I think they said the intake has been replaced recently and I am not going to work on it,I have been trying to get them to take it some place to get fixed since I dont work on cars that new.

phat46

I don't think it will shut down the car, My '07 Saturn Vue has had the low coolant light coming on and off for a while now and never shut down. The embarrassing part is that I thought it was the battery light, the low coolant idiot light looks just like a battery. I happened to notice the other day that there was two battery lights that light up when you start the car, except that one is actually the low coolant light. I had to look in the owners manual to find out why it would have two battery lights....DOH  :oops: I'm so relieved it doesn't need an alternator, you can barely spot little pieces of the alternator UNDER the engine. I know you have to loosen one motor mount and raise the engine to get it out.

idrivejunk

I'm late to the party but for anybody reading along-

+1 enenjo, wayne. If you have a 3800 and do the intake job, definitely use new GM coolant elbows because the aftermarket ones do not last.

Changing just the elbows is not too bad. Just be sure to use the air bleeder-outer on top of the thermostat housing when refilling the coolant.

I also don't know if low coolant level will shut 'em down.
Matt

rooster

junkyardjeff

Could not pull the codes since my snap on scanner only goes up to 99.

tomslik

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"Could not pull the codes since my snap on scanner only goes up to 99.

just go into generic obd2 and no, a low coolant light will not kill the car, overheating will, though

the aftermarket elbows ,well, they seem to last as long as the factory ones...

and the plenum (the plastic part of the intake) rots out due to egr gases and when you replace it (do it BEFORE it hydrolocks, they're rod benders) don't forget the pcv valve ...the instructions will tell you where it goes.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list