Questions about the Ford 8.8

Started by junkyardjeff, September 17, 2012, 08:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

I replaced the original rear end in my now 2wd 88 bronco because I thought there were problems with it with one from a 2wd F150,I pulled the axles out of the original rear end in case  the axles were bad in the replacement rear end. The axles from the 4wd 8.8 look thicker then any 2wd 8.8 axles I have seen and are 31 spline,are there 28 and 31 spline axles for the 8.8 and if the 2wd 8.8 has 28 spline axles can I use the 31 axles in it with the spider gears from the 4wd 8.8.

junkyardjeff

I looked on Autozones website and the axles,bearings and seals are the same for the bronco and the 90 rar end that I put in it.

enjenjo

Yes there are both 28 and 31 spline axles. In most cases you can switch the spider gears to change splines as long as both are the same gear carrier, ie. locker or open, and factory parts.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

junkyardjeff

Put new axle bearings and seals in tonight and there was still a squeek,its the plastic collar on the pinion seal causing the noise so its nothing serious. Since its a unknown rear end from the junkyard I have no problem with installing the bearings and seals since I usually put them in when a vehicle gets close to 150,000 miles.